What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forked D. filiformis

Lately I've been noticing that the tips of some of my D. filiformis, expecially my "all red form seem to fork at the very tip. I don't know what's causing this pheonomenon but any ideas are welcome.

Not sure of the cause but I get it from time to time on my FL giant form and my typical form.

Yes, I knew that others would see this too. I posted last summer ('05) about this. I had certain plants that did this and others right next to them that did not. Never could figure it out. I call it split ends

so you guys don't know what causes this?

Could it be kind of like false vivipary( I think i spelled it right)?

I do not think it is false vivipary as that tends to give rise to a whole new plant, not just a divided tip.

I have a specualtion on what might cause it but it is by no means a tested theory. I am guessing that some type of damage is being done to the apical bud at the tip of the leaf. When this happens the last two cells it formed revert to a "stem cell"-like state and take over giving rise to 2 points of growth. I have no clue what could be causeing the initial damage but it might be some type of microorganism.

ANd that is my radical thought for the day

Back