What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. madagascariensis pic

Here's a pic of my D. madagascariensis that I cut about a couple months ago. I guess it decided to make two growth points outta one stem.
smile_l_32.gif
(You can see it at the bottom of the pic)

DSCN2364.jpg

The leaves haven't gotten as big as they were before, but it's growing real nice now, unfortunately I cut it too high up, and it's almost at the top of my tank.

-Ben

Nice looking plant or plants! The best and funniest pic is one provided by VFT guy in SJ... or was it Capslock?
confused.gif

Thanks. Say, Jim, did your plant ever flower?

-Ben

I cut mine almost at soil level. I have 2 growth points that started to grow from the cut stem.
Also I cut down the tops and placed them back in the pot as well. 1 has rooted and started to grow and the second looks bad but might have finally rooted.

Fisrt I have two questions: 1)about how big do D. madagascariensis's leaves get, and how tall can it get.

2) how do you get your leaves to stay dewy so long? mine stop producing dew after about 3 leaves.

But I like your plant(s) and I hope mine can get to look like that.

mine average 6 inches worth of stem before falling over and breaking off at which point new ones start from the roots...........

as far as the dew, ive found as long as they get good light they have dew......in 15% humidity my Drosera are usually dripping with dew so humidity has nothing to do with it.

think of madigascariensis as a funky looking capensis and nothing special and your on the right track for care
smile_m_32.gif

The leaves don't get that big, maybe as wide as say D. intermedia or something. They can get as tall as you want them to as long as you support them, which is what I'm doing with mine. As far as I know, D. madagascariensis doesn't make as much dew as another plant would in the same conditions. I had a red, really dewy D. capensis 'Red' growing right where the D. madagascariensis is growing, but look at it, it ain't red.
smile_n_32.gif
It is right under a 30 watt CF, so maybe that's why it's dewy. Hope this helped.

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Oct. 24 2006,4:20)]Thanks.  Say, Jim, did your plant ever flower?

-Ben
It sure did... but I never found any seeds. Bummerooski!
smile_h_32.gif
smile_h_32.gif

they don't make as many tentacles, but I find mine usually have really big orbs of dew on them, and my humidity is nothing to crow about, maybe the light is a tad too low??

I also find this species to be one of my top easiest

Here's a pic of the whole thing:

DSCN2371.jpg

-Ben

What kind of ping is that?

Wow!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
that's a big plant!

It's P. lutea. Lol, a big skinny plant.

-Ben

Hey Ben,
the pings are looking good.
Lois

I've seen photo's of stems of this species over a meter long. WOW!! In habitat the plant threads through other vegetation using it for support. My plants refused to flower, ever. Dew production in Drosera species is fueled by light.

Yay, double post.
smile_n_32.gif

Mine flowered a while back, I think you saw the post?

-Ben

Looks like a drosera totem pole...LOL

Back