What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowering D. falconeri

I have a D. falconeri that is sending up a flower stalk. I'll only let if flower if I'll get seed, so does anyone know the deal on this plant?

D. falconeri, and I think all petiolaris group plants for that matter, do not self pollinate. You could cross it with another petiolaris group plant though. I dunno if the entire group is intrafertile (dunno if thats the right term haha), but you could cross it with paradoxa or broomensis...I know those 2 work

Consensus seems to be that petiolaris complex plants are not autogamous. However, that same has been said of binata complex as well yet there are some of those that can and do self seed. So...

It never hurts to try selfing the blooms, you may get lucky. And besides, I can tell you from vast personal experience, if you cut off the stalk another will just take its place so you might as well just leave it be

They have all proven to be infertile for me, but as far as I know there is the possibility of hybrids within the group without any restrictions. I'd like to see some complex backcrosses - bet there are some surprises there!

Back