What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

clumped up dews

Hey all,

I have two pots of 'dews that are just a mound of plants, and probably a result of the way the nursery set the seeds. Anyhow, the plants in question are a D. spatulata and a pygmy D. x "Lake Badgerup" and they are both in individual 3" pots. Currently they are both just a mound in the center of the pots with about a half inch from the edge, and I was curious if 1) there was any advantage in repotting them and spreading them out some and 2) if I do, will just end up back the same way later (but I'll have a bigger mound).

Thanks for any advice/insight on the matter.

I would repot the D.spatulata into a larger pot as they will grow quicker, bigger, and will multiply quicker (which can be annoying). You should have a nice, large clump in another two months if you put them into a 4 inch pot. I am not sure about the pygmy, but I think they have sensitive roots are may die if you repot them.
dewy

I agree with dewy.
Lois

Repotting D. spatulata isn't a problem. I used to do that with the offshoot plants all the time. With pigmy sundews, as indicated above, it's much more risky - though I have done a lot of it with minimal problems. If you do, get underneath and around as best you can and then water above so that the media settles. Good skill!

well I've left the spatulata alone for now becuase I grow it under a compact floro light, and I don't have much room left for it. In the spring I am going to move some of the dew's outside to establish with my Sarrs (such as my red capensis and capillaris). As for the pygmy, I went for the repot. I used a cup of water to wash the dirt from the majority of the clump and gently separated them. I then took a pencil to put holes in the sand/peat mix and set them in, using the eraser to compact the dirt. I top watered the whole thing well to fill in the holes (I hope) and put it back under the light. So far the plants turned from green to red, but at least not brown - yet

You'd know within a day if the pigmy dew. It would have reacted by now.

Guess I didn't kill them
smile.gif

since I repotted the pymgy, I didn't seem to kill any, and one has decided to flower. Today is the first time I've actually ever seen an open flower.

Back