What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera Growing in Habitat

Crissytal

What is and what should never be
I was out in my backyard today and spotted something odd. I took a closer look and this is what I found growing along the ditch line of my property:

Drosera.jpg

DroseraVI.jpg

DroseraV.jpg

DroseraIV.jpg

DroseraIII.jpg

DroseraII.jpg

DroseraBlur.jpg

Sphagnum.jpg

SphagnumFrost.jpg

The area that the Drosera and Sphagnum are growing in is shaded by trees. The soil is moist and sandy. Any idea what variety of Drosera they may be? I was thinking D. rotundifolia, but after comparing some pictures, I'm not completely sure.

I find it ironic that I've been into CPs off and on for a few years and had no idea I had some growing naturally in my own backyard!

Crystal

Nice. Plant some more next to them.

Yeah, looks like D. capillaris.

-Ben

HAHA!! now i can make a good ID on my unknown sundew that came from NC!!
Alex

Thanks everyone for the ID.

I went back out today and counted about 100 D. capillaris. That's just estimation though. The weather has been wet and windy all day, so now most everything is covered up in leaves. I plan to do some more looking once the weather gets a bit nicer. I'm sure there were quite a few more plants; the temperature has dropped below freezing several times, and not all the plants were shielded from frost.

If I happen to discover anything else, I'll take some pictures
laugh.gif

Crystal

What a wonderful surprise. I keep talking to my wife about how we should move to North Carolina after she finishes nursing school for the very reason shown in this thread.

xvart.

Check it out next spring, you may find some D. intermedia growing there also.
Lois

Wow, what a wonderful find! If D. intermedia were there, would that also mean that D. rotundifolia could also be?

It's a possibility. It's hard to say exactly what's been growing out there through the spring, summer, and fall. It's frosted several times already; anything that wasn't going on a steep slope or wasn't under the protection of the trees has died back. It's also possible that I can be over looking all sorts of things. They are hard to see with all the moss and fallen leaves!

So far I haven't been able to find anything except for the D. capillaris, Sphagnum, and other various mosses. Too bad I'm not in the right area for VFTs.

Back