What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. erythrorhiza magna seedling pics?

cant find any online. I think I have a seedling of this species...but I'm not sure. I also sowed some other seeds in that pot a few months ago and gave up on them, so it could be whatever was in there, or D. erythrorhiza

Also, I'm looking for a seedling pic of D. regia

Hey there phis,
A D regia seedling kinda looks like a small v shaped drosera until it gets over 1/4 inch tall.I jest discoverd some in one of my old pots that I had given up on. I'll see if i can get a picture.
Lois

Sorry took a while to get to your photo request.  These are some seedlings that just popped up.  The seed was sown in the Summer of 2004.  So this is the third growing cycle and some seed are still germinating.  The seedlings are a few mm across.

Derythro.jpg

Tony

edit: woops forgot to mention they were D. erythroriza ssp. collina

Nice patience, Tony!
I remember in the 80s CPN used to say on their seed bank erythrorhiza took three years to germinate. I think that was before GA3 and smoke water experimentation.
I take it a combo of heat stratifiction and highland conditions is what did it?

Cheers,

Joe

Hi Joe,

These were part of the seed that Phill sent out in 2004. I sowed them when they arrived at the beginning of the Summer. Watered them once and then let them dry out and bake all Summer in the corner of the greenhouse. In the Fall I made fresh smoke water and watered a couple times with that and then just kept everything wet. Alot of stuff had good germination that first year, which I attribute more to the freshness of the seed than the treatment I gave them.. I have tried the same thing with alot of Allen's seed and never get more than a few plants here or there.

Each Spring I let them dry out when the plants die back and bake them again in the Summer. A number of the pots still have new plants germinating each Fall, such as pictured above. So in some some cases it's a mix of 1, 2, and 3 year old plants in a pot. I have also gone in during the Spring and removed tubers here and there to pot seperately. This is the first year that the plants are really starting to put on some size and a nice show.

Tony

Back