What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recently registered cultivan

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
Here is an extremely close-up image of this new cultivar.
Actual plant is 2 cm in diameter.

D_Emeralds_Envy_B3.jpg

Isn't that cultivar old, just recently named? In the ICPS magazine, the guy said he discovered these guys, then grew them, gave some away, then years later asked if anyone had some left that he gave them, and named 'em. Nice plant, though.

-Ben

Certainly true. I am that guy.

so what species is it? spatulata?
Alex

Nope, D. capillaris. I had no idea it was you Joseph.
smile.gif

-Ben

Here's an earlier photograph taken of some mature blooming plants:

D_capillaris_EE_a1_small.jpg

Hey there Joseph,
Congrats on naming another new cutivar. You seem to be in the right place at the right time to find these oddities.
Lois

It looks like a D. rotundifolia (rounder ground hugging leaves) and D. intermedia (erect petioles but oval leaves) hybrid.
oh.gif

Do ya have any seeds?
oh.gif

-Ben

If it's a cultivar, you have to propagate it vegetatively, seeds sould just be D.capillaris
biggrin.gif

Congrats on naming this fellow, Joseph!!

It comes true from seed.

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mabudon @ Nov. 19 2006,8:59)]If it's a cultivar, you have to propagate it vegetatively, seeds sould just be D.capillaris
biggrin.gif

Congrats on naming this fellow, Joseph!!
Actually, this cultivar does come true from seed (which is how it has been maintained in cultivation since I discovered it), as long as the seed is not produced using pollen from any other variety. But I'm not 100% certain if the trait is recessive, if it is, crosses with other, normal clones, would produce normal appearing plants in the F1 generation and a certain percentage of plants produced by self-pollinating the F1 generation, would appear as the cultivar. This sounds like an excellent experiment for someone to do, like Ivan Snyder, who is often doing just such testing.

just wondering...what makes this one special enough for cultivar rank?? is it just because its green?
Alex

To be registered as a cultivated variety (cultivar), plants do not require any special "merit", they simply need a characteristic(s), that are unique and describable, and they need an advocate who will propagate them and submit them for registration. For instance, many tomato cultivars are unique simply due to their resistance to various pests and diseases.

Being a registered cultivar, does not confer any special status. Those plants so chosen do not need to meet any subjective criteria (since that would be an entirely different issue), cultivar registration is simply a means to give descriptive "horticultural" names to the plants we grow, so that it is easier to identify them. and to discuss them

but why is this D. capillaris at a cultivar status. is it because of its green color?....thats what i was trying to say.
Alex

Joseph... Do your plants self seed? The plants I have have flowered but have yet to form seed. How hardy are they for transplanting? Mine are potted with some P. lusitanica which is threatening to take over the whole pot. I have been wanting to transplant them but am afraid to lose the few plants I have of this species. Any tips would be appreciated.

Edit: here are a couple pics of my (rather crowded) D. 'Emerald's Envy' plants.

Cheers
Steve

ee01.JPG

ee02.JPG

Alex,
Yes, basically, because it has less red pigment, even under conditions that normal plants would be displaying lots of red pigment. And, this does make them look greener. If you had seen them in the wild, growing as a small clumping colony, surrounded by individuals and clumping colonies of the normally redder pigmented plants. It truly looked amazing. The redder plants tended to blend into their dark-brown soil background much better, while these stood out like white on black.

--------------------------------------
Steve,
Nice looking group of plants. Most of the time mine self-seed. Sometimes I am disappointed waiting for seed pods to mature and then to discover no seed, but this is rare, usually happens with the last flower stalks of the season.

They transplant most easily if you carefully maintain the integrity of the entire meager root system. I do this by unpotting and carefully breaking the media mass immediately under the plant in a vertical fasion, then carefully working the plant and its roots free from the media. Then I push the roots together into a column and drop it into the new planting hole, then firming the new media around the roots.

Thanks Joseph. I will transplant them when I return from vacation next weekend and let you know how it goes.

Cheers
Steve

Edit: Oh one more thing.. how do they do as leaf cuttings? As long as I have them uprooted I figure I might as well take a few cuttings. I normally use the "cup of water" method you recommend for cuttings.. Any tips for cuttings?

Thanks
Steve

Beautiful plants! Hopefully there will be seeds available in the seed banks in the near future?

Back