What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. ordensis, seedlings

Hello everyone,

Its been awhile since I posted a message. I've been involved in cross-pollinating and germinating various Petiolaris Complex specimens in my collection this past six months. Drosera ordensis has been my choice species, as I've had the fortune of having 2 clones flower at the same time! The trick was to be home during the 1-3 hour window on weekends and pollinate the flowers
oh.gif

So here's the deal: The first photograph shows the two clones, one with the "yellow pads" and the other with red. Sorry for my lack of scientific word descriptions.

ordensisparents.jpg

Second photograph illustrates the few (less than 10% of seedlings) that show traits of the "yellow pad" ordensis.

ordensisyellowpadtrait.jpg

Third photograph shows the typical "red" looking padded plants.

ordensisredpadtrait.jpg

It's interesting to note that seeds from both plants were collected, and that over 90% of the young show the "red" trait.

-Homer

Homer, very interesting post! I love to see seedlings from the petiolaris group.
Keep up the great work!
wink.gif.gif

Peter.

Gr8 pics, Homer.
Also thanx for sahring the info.
Lois

What a beautiful set of plants! I admire the white coloration of this species. It is so different than the usual green & red we normally see.

Great work Homer.

Very nice!Thanks for sharing!

Jerry

Those are awesome pics and it is very cool to see the difference in them as they grow up. Tamlin sent me some D. ordensis seed recently, I think he got them from somewhere here, I'm not sure... (he also sent a few D. ordensis x falc seeds that havn't sprouted) But this morning I took a picture of them (too bright) but I think they're doing pretty good. This is a 4" pot, and the plants are 1.5-2 months old probably.
dordensisseedlings.jpg

Can't wait to have adult D. ordensis plants AGAIN hehe
smile.gif

Andew

andrew, did it take long for the ordensis to sprout? I have some petiolaris seed that i planted 3 months ago and still no signs of life!
Oh well, i hear it can take a loooong time.
Peter.

These did not. Although I did sow more than 6 seeds. So perhaps some are waiting. I think maybe a month or so? As I said the hybrid ones I was sent still havn't done anything. But i've not lost hope yet
bigsmile.gif
I'm still waiting for D. regia to sprout too.
rock.gif

Great shots, nice plants-- I have been waiting on some falconeri x paradoxa 'swamp form' seeds for about 2 months and no sign of germination yet. Homer, do you keep the potted seeds in the exact same conditions as the parents or hotter?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Homer, do you keep the potted seeds in the exact same conditions as the parents or hotter?

For the most part, yes. The real difference is that the pots with seeds are placed in ziplock baggies for high humidity. As for heat, they are placed on a seedling heat mat.

Keep in mind that I'm not thrilled about the germination success currently. I have a couple plans to get better germination rates. If and when they succeed, all post another discussion.

regards,

Homer

Homer: Where do you purchase these heat mats?

McLendon's. Its a local hardware store. To be honest, they are more expensive than Exo-Terra from Petsmart, etc. They warm the tray, but nothing too special. I'm working on other heating methods.

Homer

Back