What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A "paradoxical" D. paradoxa

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
So D. paradoxa supposedly gets its name form the fact that it does not go dormant like others in the petiolaris group.

So why then is this plant doing the in-ward spiral of reduced leaves that is indicative of dormancy for this group?

Because it is the paradox plant!!

PB210011.jpg

PB210010.jpg

PB210005.jpg

No, they can go dormant for sure. Why I can't say, but they do this and very difficult to bring them back around when they do.

I have "tripped" my way through dormancy wih a number of the petio group so I am sure I'll do okay with this one (and even if I don't it is one of 3 or 4 I have of this same plant so...) I was just querulous over the fact that it looked to be going dormant when the literature says it does not. So much for the literature (no big suprise there)

Pyro, my paradoxa did that too. They were worse off because all the older traps had the tentacles dried and curled up. The the newer leaves did not unfurl too.

Both plants were side-by-side in the same pot and they enter dormancy during the same period. Not surprising though because both of them are from the same TC media. I moved them to a more shady corner of my balcony and cut back on watering...no idea why I did that...no literature and no info on the Internet but I thought if they are going to have less light, I should cut back on watering as well in case the roots rot. Somehow that worked. About three weeks later, the newer leaves began to unfurl. I moved the plants back to a brighter spot and they both have resumed normal growth.

I agree with all of you. D. paradoxa in my care have become dormant over time as well. I just trim off the dead leaves and "wait it out". I even went as far as decapitating one and see if it comes back from the roots. Didn't work.
blush.gif
I've also attempted to feed them, if they had dewy leaves still, and the jury is still out.

-Homer

Along with a dozen or so others, I acquired some D. paradoxa at the last meeting of the LACPS. The plants were in seed tray plugs, may 4 or 5 plants in a plug.

Is it okay to leave them clumped together or would it be best to repot each plant individually?

A couple of guys at the meeting said repotting the stubborn ones seems to bring them out of dormancy.

Back