What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. scorpioides dilema

When I got D. scorpioides gemmae this year, they all seemed real healthy and everything. And when I planted them, they seemed to grow fine. But only like 2 out of maybe 6 had the stipules around their growth point. The other 6 grew taller than the 2 normal ones, and were a dark green. Their leaves didn't open either. I kinda threw 'em away, out of frustration.
blush.gif
Does anyone know why this happened to most of 'em? I'm hoping the 2 are still gonna grow ok. If the gemmae were damaged say from weather prior to me getting them, could that do it? What's weird though is that the perlite are turning green even after I shook them with a sifter, poured water over them, soaked them for 24 hours, and then washed them again.

Here's the only normal looking one:
dscn2454.jpg

-Ben

i have a bunch of scorp gemmae that i sowed all at one time. some are more developed then others and some have stipules others dont. ill just wait. my first real leaf opens up soon!
Alex

Do you have them in a high humidity environment and are they getting sufficient light? These could be factors in their development as D.scorpioides does not like high humidity once it sprouts.
dewy

How high is too high exactly? I'm pretty sure it's getting very sufficient light (90 watts). The humidity is usually around 50-60% in the day, and maybe 75% at night. I try to keep the pot on the dry side, not really having more than an inch in the water dish, and then I refill it after it's been dry for 2-3 days.

-Ben

here are mine. playing with my aunts digital camer. i still have work to do
smile.gif

scorpiodes_babies_2.jpg

scorpiodes_babies_1.jpg

Alex

Here's how I grow mine:
Peat:perlite 1:1 (can use peat:sand. Don't matter what you use, as long as plants can grow in it.)

D. scorpioides roots can be 8" or longer so I use 6" to 8" deep pots.

If the gemmae are damaged, they just won't grow. Some take longer to start growing, even when they are from the same plant. Think of it as a survival mechanism. If they all started growing at the same time and a dry spell hit for a week or so, they'd all die. If they all start growing a different times, some will make it through the dry spell and continue the species.

@Glider14 - You have some nice looking plants there. You'll be inundated with gemmae by this time next year

Scatter gemmae on surface. Spritz with a fine spray to settle gemmae onto soil.

Keep soil moist and ignore it the rest of the time.
oh.gif

@Ben: The algae is likely a result of nutrients in the peat or your perlite. If you used Schultz peat or one of the other name brands, I would look at that being the likely culprit. Look through the peat (or perlite) carefully to see if there are any slow release fertilizer pellets in it. It only takes a few to put enough nutrients into the peat to get algae started. My experience has been that the algae is followed by moss in a month or so. Also D. scorpioides is very tolerant of low humidity. They lap it up and ask for more.

Yeah! the gemmae that BigCarnivourKid give me earlier are getting pretty big, but at different rates, some started out small at first and then eventually got really big and some of them stopped growing all together.

But don't worry, they'll pull through.:)

Glad they are doing well for you Dave. Your plants will produce enough gemmae next year to fill in any empty spaces left by the gemmae that didn't grow.
smile.gif

Thank You!

I'll probably trade some of it off too, because they're growing in a small pot.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Dec. 03 2006,3:26)]How high is too high exactly?  I'm pretty sure it's getting very sufficient light (90 watts).  The humidity is usually around 50-60% in the day, and maybe 75% at night.  I try to keep the pot on the dry side, not really having more than an inch in the water dish, and then I refill it after it's been dry for 2-3 days.

-Ben
I think that you may be giving them too much water. I usually grow mine like a nep, by keeping the top of the soil just moist. They grow really fast this way and seem to really like it. The only problems I have had is when I give them too much water and the roots rot a little bit.
dewy

The other weird ones seem to be growing normal leaves now, I guess they were too wet. I'm keeping them much drier now.

DSCN2485.jpg

The one on the left was one of the 'weird ones' but now is growing normal leaves.

-Ben

They just need time to mature a little bit. I don't see any abnormal leaves on either of them. Either new or old.
rock.gif

The one on the right was normal from the beginning, while the other ones seemed to grow strangely, then they all began to grow normal. I dunno, maybe they were ok from the start.

-Ben

Back