What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pygmy and a tuberous

yep. the first year is rather critical as the ttubers need to build big enough to go dormant. i lost my giganteas as they didnt and dies when the weather got really hot. but the tubers grow to about the size of this smiley face

smile.gif

I find the night temperature more important with auriculata and peltata for avoiding dormancy. Keep the temperature below 12 C at night and try and get temperature up into the high twentys in the day. This seem acceralate the growth and quite often you can have flowers and seed set in the first season. Don't keep them too wet, basically same moisture level as the pygmy sundews. For the first season keep them lightly shaded, after that full sun. Also you can help break dormancy earlier by starting watering the pots about 2 month before they normally break dormancy. They do live in the same habitats as pygmy sundews. They are naturally winter grower, it too hot and dry in summer in their natural habitats.

I'm keeping all of my pigmies in the attic for our winter. They are all doing fine, but the real cold temps haven't kicked in yet. Temps will dip down close to freezing eventually, but we are in the midst of a warm period. Today it reached 14 C. If I move them to the attic tomorrow, while it's still warm and let the weather pattern do its thing, do you think that the acclimation won't be too much too soon? Can they handle 2 or 3 C?

Pygmy sundews in the wild would encounter sever frost. As for rapid change in the temperatures that should no problem it is nothing for the temp vary by 20 C or more in a 24 hr period here. One day it's 41 the next day it's 27 here. It amount of sunlight is more likely have more effect than temp. Like tuberous sundews the total hours of night also effects growth pattern.
A good experiment to do in late spring to show this is place a pot of pygmy in the fridge (say around 5pm) every night and bring the pot and put back out in the tray the morning. In a few weeks the pymgy sundews will think it winter and start producing gemmae
wink.gif.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CPKhoas @ Dec. 14 2006,7:06)]A good experiment to do in late spring to show this is place a pot of pygmy in the fridge (say around 5pm) every night and bring the pot and put back out in the tray the morning. In a few weeks the pymgy sundews will think it winter and start producing gemmae
wink.gif.gif
Now that would be a neat trick! But I hear ya. Fortunately, while the pigmy dews are in the attic windows, the auriculata & peltata are room temp windows.

Okay, tomorrow I'll just quietly sneak them up to the attic. Probably should do that with some binata and filiformis as well.

Thanx1

Back