What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. falconeri

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
I just thought I'd share my first D. falconeri. I think it looks pretty good. I think it is actually 3 plants. And from the side, it looks small... but from the height of the Live sphagnum... it cups the plants I'll show you that below too. I soon want to remove the excess sphag... I just have not yet.
falcnsfs.jpg

falcnsfstop.jpg

Is it a common thing to grow this plant in live sphag? I got more from the same person and have them in a peat:sand mix. They flower a lot but don't look as good.
Andrew

Wow, that's amazing! The sphagnum is too! What are the growing conditions for your plant?

-Ben

AWSOME! They look fantastic!

your pic is one of the key reasons as to why D. falconeri is one of my favorite cps

Fabulous!

I grow mine in peat, sand, and a little lfs and shultz profile in there.

It does look like you've got 3 plants there.
I use equal parts peat moss, perlite, and sand. The top 1/8" of the soil is just sand.

Right on! Very nice. I don't grow mine in live sphagnum, but have used LFS as a portion of the potting mix, with no negative results.

smile.gif

-Homer

Looking very good. Is the entire pot all living Sphagnum?

Joseph, I was able to find an old picture from shortly after planting it. It looks like from here the bottom part is lfs but not live. I don't keep good records on that though, so I'd have to pop it out of the pot and check. This was Sept 6th

falc2.JPG

Andrew

wow! it looks much better than it did!

beautiful! but tell me, how u manage to keep sphagnum alive?
rock.gif
i'd prefere to do the same instead of riping out new ones.

Live sphagnum is pretty much low maintenance in my experience. Just keep it moist, in bright light with good air circulation. It seems to prefer cooler conditions and might eventually die if kept in constant warm/greenhouse conditions.

I have a handfull growing in a clear plastic 4.5 inch pottery basket cup that I'm about to split transfer to bigger quarters.

I mist the moss a couple times a week with a spray bottle (distilled water of course).

Limit the amount of direct sunlight because too much will cause the tips to burn and turn brown or black. Air circulation will prevent algae growth which spells doom usually to sphagnum.

Actually- the picture I showed here from back when I got the plant, is how I still grow it. It sits in a plastic bag, but with the top open. It is in a g/h that gets to about 80 in the day, and down to 60 or so at night (heated side of the g/h) Seems to be working for me. But, as to where I got the live stuff.. .I have a 1 gallon bag that was given to me with some live stuff in it. I keep it sealed and I make sure it is moist in there. It sits usually on the bottom shelf of my racks, so it does get sun, but i don't make sure it gets alot... Just whatever is down there.
Hope that helps
Andrew

Okay, I trimmed back the live sphagnum yesterday and flipped the media out of the pot. Yes, it is pure LFS with a topping of Live sphagnum.
rock.gif
lol

Back