What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. burmannii "Red Giant"

Cindy

Staff member
When I received it was <span style='color:#CC0000'>dark red</span>, now it is <span style='color:#FF6600'>this orange red</span>.

burmanniiRG.jpg

I noticed that this particular species/hybrid does not turn red and grow large in my all-year-long-summer weather. It has been green, with at most gold tentacles, for me the whole year. Now that the weather is rainy and just warm (Singapore is 365 days hot at 80+degF), the plants are turning redder.
smile.gif

Nice looking plants! What is the name of this hybrid?

I seen similar on D. burmannii "Sarawak". Small plant, very colourful. The Hong Kong form is much larger but no where near the colour of the sarawak form

<span style='color:red'>[Edit: Your post has been edited to improve its value as an archive and to help others understand more precisely which plants you are writing about. You can read more about the details of writing plant names at Plant Names Thread.]</span>

The burmanni "Humpty Doo" is the reddest one that I have seen to date.
Hey I don't make up these names. I jest report them.lol
Lois

I was given this plant as D. burmannii 'red giant'. From Tamlin's feedback on its flower, it is more likely to be a hybrid than a pure burmannii. I have another form of burmannii (likely a hybrid too) and I am extremely careful that they do not cross pollinate.
tounge.gif

Btw, the plants are getting redder.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (flytraplady5 @ Dec. 14 2006,11:26)]The burmanni "Humpty Doo" is the reddest one that I have seen to date.
Hey I don't make up these names. I jest report them.lol
Lois
Feel sorry for all the people that live in Humpty Doo. It is a town in Northern Terrority, Australia.
smile.gif

I have D burmanni, Beerwah, QLD. It was green all summer long. I kept it on a N windowsill, and a covered patio with E and S exposure. I recently moved the plants into my garage grow rack where they are within 3" of 160W flourescent light (I cannot get any closer with the flower spikes). They are now turning a beatiful red. I will try to post some pics today. I am guesing I robbed them of appropriate light all summer, but they grew great - just green. Have you tried different light intensities?

Nice! I like how D. burmanii looks, especially that one.
Hope the whole thing works out on finding out what it's parantage is, because i'd like to see that one as a nice correctly identifed plant in my collection
wink.gif.gif

CP30, I had this set of plants at the balcony exposed to the direct sunlight earlier on. They were all green. Now they are under lights and they have turned red. I am sure they got less light under flourescent.
rock.gif

Doesn't that same thing happen with Mexican Pinguicula? Some only color up to that nice pink color under lights, while in greenhouses or outside bright sunlight they might not? I'm not completely sure on this, but I think I heard it somewhere.

-Ben

all of mine seem to color up very nicely in the sun. Lighting never seems to work for me

Back