What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. aliciae and black leaves from crown

Yes, bottom watering and surface evaporation (especially during periods of lower humidity or higher ambient temperatures) would tend to concentrate these compounds near the media surface. The hypothesis is that natural rainfall and higher humidity would reduce this process. And too, if the media surface were dry, this would be a barrier to the migration of this concentrate onto the above-ground parts of the plant.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Joseph Clemens @ Dec. 21 2006,5:09)]<span style='color:red'>This is something that was reported on, I believe, back in the 1970's. Here is a short description of the issue.</span>

<span style='color:darkblue'>The darkening of the growth point, as shown by the photographs shared here, is caused by humic acids, and perhaps other solubles, wicking up and depositing themselves, first on the hairs and stipules of the leaf primordia, eventually covering the entire surface of the growth point and leaf primordia. My experience is that this can have a damaging effect on the growing point and can supress new growth. The easiest way to reduce this is to gently provide overhead watering with warm, purified water as often as necessary to reduce this precipitate. Another solution would be to use less peat moss, since it is a strong source for the most offending compounds, though other media ingredients may also be sources. It is also affected by temperature, ambient humidity, air movement, etc.</span>
Thank you for diagnosis and solution! This and many other sundews and bladderworts are sitting in two, large plastic storage containers, open tray, and bottom watered. Never would have thunk it!

Okay, I just gave my aliciae a bath. I have a "jet" syringe - it's like a hypodermic syringe but with a long thin plastic cone instead of a needle. I used that to direct a gentle stream/drops of luke warm distilled water (very precise) to the "crowns". The gunk washed off easily and the plant looks new. I let the water drain out into an individual tray and dumped it. Time will tell how the leaves will develop.

I think I'll top water in the same manner for a week or so to help clear these compounds out. I did add some peat/sand mix a few weeks ago to fill in the sides of the pot because the soil had compacted around the sides during mailing. That's probably where the gunk came from.

There's something to be said for flushing your peat mix well before using it.

Thanks for the tips, Joseph.

i did the same. also repotted, only to find that the tiny little moss-leaves were hellacious icebergs of roots underneath the surface. hopefully my aliciae will be a little happier, now.

you would have to thing this gunk would wreak havoc on dews. much like an oil spill vs photosynthesizing penguins.

Well, the plant wasn't very happy. The leaves would not unfurl completely at the tips and the tentacles were coming out deformed or even missing.

I'm glad the solution is so simple.

yes precisely, i was worried i had some horrible disease that would spread to my other plants >_< now to figure out what the hell is wrong with my capensis

The bloodworm mash had no effect?

Speaking of bloodworms, I've come to the conclusion that the only substance stickier than sundew glue is reconstituted bloodworms. I tried feeding my newly acquired D. venusta a bit of bloodworm that I dipped first in water with a pair of tweezers. Big mistake - stickier than snot!

Here's a picture of the black stuff. You can see why I call it a crust. Note the black leaves on the plant on the right. Note also the "deformed" leaf on the left.

blackheads1.jpg

Here are the same plants after being washed the day before. They aren't too happy looking.

Should I weed out the grassy stuff (not the seedlings though)?

00640014.jpg

Thats grassy stuff is a another CP, a terrestrial bladderwort. I have U. bisquamata in my D. aliciae pot and it does no harm.

<div>
(Not a Number @ Dec. 29 2006,4:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">....Should I weed out the grassy stuff (not the seedlings though)?</div>
Good luck! As Finch said it's a Utricularia of some sort and those are almost impossible to get rid of once they are in the pot. It shouldn't be a problem for anything but tiny seedlings which it might shade out.

Hmmm, ok, I can't complain if they are another CP. Must be munching on the springtails in the soil.

There's kind of a clover like plant (three leaves) too, another Utric?

Nope, Utrics don't have three leaves to a stalk thingy.

-Ben

There's only one or two of the clover thingys and they don't seem to be spreading. They're kind of neat, the leaves fold down like an umbrella at night.

Oxalis, Common wood sorrel
180px-Oxalis_acetosella_1885_crop.jpg

I have them in my CP pots too. Mine just sit there, never spreading or flowering. They certainly arnt doing any good, but i have not gotten around to removing mine

Oh, I have those in some pots outside; they seem to turn dark red in the sunlight, and their seed pods explode when touched.

-Ben

Most stay green- you likely notice the red variety more, that's all.
smile.gif

Arnt unexpected CP discoveries fun? NAN, when your Utricularia flowers, post a pic in that forum to get a ID. A free plant for you! A happy discovery indeed.

There were a couple flower stalks pretty dried out when I got the plant. Thin hairlike stalk, somewhat woody. Maybe 2.5" tall. Tiny dried out white globe at the end, maybe the size of a common straight pinhead. Another stalk just popped up a few days ago - round yellowish-greenish-white flower-globular, color similar to a VFT flower. Pictures when I get a chance to break out the camera.

The leaves on my wood sorrel turn reddish too.

The good news is there are finally a few "normal" leaves opening on my smaller aliciae!

The flower has blossomed. I took some photos last night but since I'm behind the times with a film camera I probably won't post anything until the weekend least. The flower has developed more since last night. Based on this photo from Barry's site, I'd guess it's U. bisquamata:

ubisq01.jpg

Yah! :beer: Nice healthy normal looking leaves with red, dewy lamina on the smaller D. aliciae at last. I had to give the leaves a bath every other day down to once every one or two weeks but the results are worth it. :hail: Thanks again, Joseph.

Back