What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help aphids are attack all my woolly sudews

sign_help.gif
 I just found aphids all over my woolly sundews. I don't even know how they got in my terrarium. They seem to be attracted to Ordensis and Falconeri's mostly. I need help in getting reid of them. I have a classic terrarium set up, So what a good and safe way to kill off all the aphid with out killing off my sundews.

Magnifying eyeglasses, fine-tip forceps and patience. Also handy are small brushes and a moderately strong spray of purified water.

I have used the drowning method for D. capensis, D. spatulata, and D. adelae. It was 100% successful with removing the aphids and although the plants had a "drowned rat" look about them for several days, they all recovered. However, I haven't tried this with tuberous sundews and have n idea how well they can handle being under water for a couple, few days.

I've used a light spray of 3Tsp/gallon Orthenex insecticide on my plants that have aphid or scale infestations. I've tried this on the more common plants (D. capillaris, spatulata, VFT, common pygmy sundews and some Sarracenia). So far, there has been no sign of tissue damage, even on new tender growth and when the crowns have been sprayed.

I haven't tried this on my wolly sundews, but orthenex has produced very satisfactory results so far (and the fact that it's a systemic is a bonus).

I'd try manually removing them or dunking under water for a day as a first line measure, but if this doesn't work, consider a very light spray of a dilute orthenex solution. I haven't seen any evidence thus far that this would kill the plants outright.

Good luck.

Hey Thanks for all the help everyone. But I think i'll go with the insecticide that chloroplast recommend. also has anyone use Malathion on there plant's, I heared it was good to use on cp's too.

Back