What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. scorpioides and D. rosei Question

I just received a D. scorpioides and a D. rosei. Not sure how to care for them and if they need a dormancy or not? They are in my greenhouse. The humidity is all ways above 75 and the temperature is 65 and night and a max of 85 in the day.
Thanks
Jeff

<span style='color:red'>[Edit: Your post has been edited to improve its value as an archive and to help others understand more precisely which plants you are writing about. You can read more about the details of writing plant names at Plant Names Thread.]</span>

Pygmy sundews. No dormancy per say. Just keep warm and wet and they should do well

I don't have any experience with D. rosea, but I grow my D. scorpioides in 6" & 8" pots. Give them as much direct sun as possible. They can take mild frosts, but I don't advise temps below 40°F. Give them lots of direct sun and they are very tolerant of low humidity in my experience.

dont worry bout the humidity, it doesnt matter. though high humidity + no air circulation = dead Drosera in my experiance but in a greenhouse there should be no worries, most of my experiance in this revolves around fish tanks at 55gal and smaller. alot of my dews see humidity as low as 15% with no effects

Thanks all of you for helping me:D Is this normal for the sccorpiodes to look like this for this time of year?

DSC_0002Dscorpiodes.jpg

thanks

Perfectly normal. Those are gemmae, and it would probably be a good idea to knock them loose as occasionally they will stick to the demise of the plant. Each one should sprout into a new plant. Makes for much easier propogation than seed

Pyro is this what you are talking abought?
DSC_0001scorpiodessidecopy.jpg

No, he's talking about the little nubby things at the top of your D. scorpioides. Those are the gemmae. A modified leave produced by pygmy drosera as a means of asexual reproduction. Much like a leave cutting. Your arrows are pointing at old, dead leaves.
rock.gif

Jeff,
I am entirely unfamiliar with any Drosera rosei, are you perhaps referring to Drosera paleacea subsp. roseana?

------

Here is a crop of your image - these are gemmae:
DSC_0001scorpioidessidecopy_crop.jpg

Ok I got. thanks to all of you.

DSC_0001scorpiodestop.jpg

As I was doing that I found a baby!
smile.gif

122106scorpiodesbaby.jpg

Here is my Rosei. Its not that dewy now.

122106DRosei.jpg

Jeff

As Joseph has said, there is no such plant as D. rosei. The correct name for the plant is D. paleacea ssp. roseana.
smile.gif

I bought it at CC and thats the name on the web site and the name on the plant tag. I will look up the palescea ssp. roseana.

I'll let him know that i may have mislabled some plants, again
Lois

Back