What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Happy Holidays! *pics*

glider14

Always a newbie
hey guys! here are pics with my new Canon Powershot SD600. it has a great macro feature...BUT! it has somthing called digital macro. it can get closer than even in macro mode!! here are some of my pics of my dews.
PS: i still need practice
biggrin.gif

D. filiformis ssp tracyi(thanks Farmer Dave!)
IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

D. burmanni(the only one out of at least 50 seeds that germinated haha)
IMG_0103.jpg

D. pulchella and D. scorpiodes
IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

D. alicae seedlings
IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

D. adeale leaf with prey
IMG_0118.jpg

happy D. capensis 'Albino'
IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

enjoy! criticism always welcome!
Alex

ooooops! looks like i might have mislabled that one. It looks like it might be a D. filiformis 'California Sunset'

I'm sorry, I'll send you bunches of seeds in the spring.
sad6.gif

looks like it's doing well though. It should more than double in the next year and will most definately be mature enough to flower and propagate even further.

Those pics remind me of why D. filiformis is one of my favorite plants.

pics look good to! what kind of camera did you get? how much did it cost?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Dec. 25 2006,9:51)]happy D. capensis 'Albino'
That is a nice picture! I think that is my favorite of the bunch. Is it 'albino' because there is no redness at the tip? Like inside each dew droplet?

xvart.

yes that is exactly why.
it is "Something" free, in which the "something" is the red pigment that is seen in the tentacles and the leaves of other plants

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Farmer Dave @ Dec. 25 2006,10:24)]yes that is exactly why.
it is "Something" free, in which the "something" is the red pigment that is seen in the tentacles and the leaves of other plants
Neat! I had seen some people list albino dews on grow lists, but never bothered to ask what exactly made them albino. Thanks, Farmer Dave.

Alex - You should take some extreme macro pictures of some bugs being consumed by dew, if there is such a thing on your plants. I saw the one bug. I think close-ups off bugs in dew are really facinating, even if it isn't a regia wrapping around a grasshopper a few times!

xvart.

your welcome!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Neat! I had seen some people list albino dews on grow lists, but never bothered to ask what exactly made them albino. Thanks, Farmer Dave.

are you saying that you don't have any albino plants of your own? If not then I have to hook you up with some seeds in spring. From what i've seen, Albino dews seem to produce much more dew than similar varieties. So it looks a lot like a slime covered leaf.

yea 'Albino' refers to its lack of any red pigmentation. so the flowers are also white. there is a funny story behing this one. it came in as a hitch hiker and looked like a normal capensis. red tentacles and everything. i wasnt growing right so it was a bit etoleated(spelling?) and it had no red in it. come summer(i got it in december) i put it outside in full sun and it died but came back from its roots...as 'Albino'!!!!!
rock.gif
rock.gif
rock.gif
its still albino though and it sure is one heck of a beautiful plant!
Farmer Dave: its a Canon Powershot SD600. its around 250$ i think. thanks for the positive ID. i heard this one gets HUGE! the biggest leaf on it is alredy 2 inches or so. this capensis does produce the most dew of any of plants so far. my lone D. burmanni(is it even possible to have only one
oh.gif
) comes in second.

Thanks for the comments everyone!
Alex

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Farmer Dave: its a Canon Powershot SD600. its around 250$ i think

I just checked the price of this model and it has come down these past few months. About 6 months ago it was running aboutn $280 or more, now you can find it for about $215!
I own this one too. Great camera that's simple to use.
Peter.

Nice pics, they're nice and dewy. My capensis and spatulata aren't really making that much dew right now. they were like that when I bought them. My Adelae has plenty of dew though.

-peace

Glider14 your D. filiformis will almost definately be one of your dewiest Drosera, and if you grow it outside near a slightly wooded area it should catch a surprizing amount of bugs, some that can greatly exceed the width of the leaves
smile.gif

Back