What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New D graminifolia

CP30

A Cajun(isc) Carnivore
I just received a couple of graminifolia from an online nursery. They came potted in what appears to be a rather dense peat/perlite mix. I have read what I could find and am more confused now than when I ordered the plants and thought I "knew" how to handle them. It seems that milled live sphagnum seems popular - but I do not have enough live sphag to mill and fill a pot. I understand the roots need an airy but very moist mix. Would milled LFS be effective as a substitute? Maybe milled LFS covered with milled live sphag?

I read of Tamlin's double pot methods - does anyone know if orchid bark would serve as a sump (and prevent bacterial growth)?

Also, how deep are the root systems? How deep of a pot should I use?

Any advice will be helpful and appreciated,
Steve

My gut feeling is a milled LFS/fine perlite mixture topped with live Sphagnum would work, but I'm a rank beginner so don't take my advice
smile.gif

I use 50:50 peat:perlite and my D.graminifolia is growing great! It has about 6 leaves full of dew right now, which is quite unusual for D.graminifolia. It likes to be kept dryer IME, although mine has yet to flower.
dewy

Thanks, I received 2 pots with several plantlets around each mature plant. I will leave one in the peat/perlite it came in and put another in the milled live sphag covering milled LFS over orchard bark. Just to compare.

Back