What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expanding my collection- which to get?

Finch

Whats it to ya?
After years of stagnation in the collection growth department, I am finally deciding to expand my CP collection. Yes the years of my plants persisting in acceptable condition and in some cases growing large (atleast, until recently- but that is another story) have roused my appitite for something new. So new plants this spring. Despite my never having had my D. capensis actually flower in years I have grown them, I am happy with them.

I like sundews, and I grow mostly rosetted species, so im hoping to expand into pigmies. Im starting slow. But I cant decide which to get so im starting this thread. Could you please tell me your experienced and opinions about the two following plants:
D. nitidula x occidentalis
D. nitidula x pulchella

Thank you!

well pygmys are great. handsdown. i have a D. pulchella and a bunch of D. scorpioides. the D. pulchella is such a pretty grower and the tips of the leaves where all the tentacles are at turn deep orange in my lighting. ive never seen it in any other D. pulchella. those you are asking about are both easy hybrids and should be very rewarding.
Alex

Both easy, both perfect choices- kinda similar, actually, in looks, but both nice, might as well get 'em
biggrin.gif

I'm only getting one to start with. Thats why its so hard to choose! i was hoping the information here would help me decide wich one to get.

Get D.admirabillis. They are great little plants. They are like miniature D. aliciae and produce massive amounts of dew for their size. I think cook's has some left.

Hey guys. I just wanted to say i decided on D. nitidula x occidentalis. Thank you all for your input

On the opposite end of Pygmies are... King's! Which are my favorite! I'd rather have one King than a horde of pygmie's, but that's just me.
As long as you can supply somewhat cool conditions and not let it get overheated. they shouldn't give you any trouble.
Also they don't like it when their roots are disturbed, but are not as sensitive as Ceph's.
The 'Big Easy' clone is much more vigorous and heat-resistant making it a much-easier to grow plant.
And it doesn't get as large supposedly... making it more suitable for a terrarium.
That is, unless you already have those plants... then I guess I'd just be lookin kinda stupid....
blush.gif

No i don't. I am still working with overheating problems without allowing the humidity to drop as well. When i hear of experts having difficulties with this plant... it make me leery. I really, really want the king, but that is sometime down the road. I wanna know i can grow pigmies before i feel that i could grow the king. My temps, they are in the low 60's in the night and low 70's in the day... always, but the terrarium gets full sun. Dews have never lost their, um, dew, but still, i wonder if 95 is too much. I am fixing the problem as we speak, though.

Basement with growlights on a terrarium and you should be fine for a King, I've been growin them for years and I don't consider myself an expert.
As long as you don't let em overheat too much they should do fine...
But I wouldn't try if you have temps like that, they seem to not like even the 80's for too long!

Back