What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera capensis and Drosera auriculata seedlings

Here goes some evolution of my seedlings :wink:

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>October 10th</span>

Drosera capensis germination
droseracapensis101006tx5.jpg

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>October 28th</span>

Drosera capensis
droseracapensis28100601ye7.jpg

droseracapensis28100602dd1.jpg

droseracapensis28100603tm0.jpg

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>November 1st</span>

Drosera capensis (1st kills, die gnats die :lol: )
droseracapensis011106ol1.jpg

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>November 12th</span>

Drosera capensis
droseracapensis12110601qr6.jpg

droseracapensis12110602wx6.jpg

droseracapensis12110603oh5.jpg

droseracapensis12110604hl3.jpg

droseracapensis12110605pb8.jpg

Drosera auriculata
droseraauriculata121106ok3.jpg

droseraauriculata121106ar8.jpg

droseraauriculata121106my8.jpg

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>December 8th</span>
Notice in the Drosera, there's much less red pigmentation, probably due to some straight weeks of rain and almost no sun.

Drosera capensis
droseracapensis08120601fk4.jpg

droseracapensis08120602ze5.jpg

droseracapensis08120603qz4.jpg

Drosera auriculata
droseraauriculata081206js2.jpg

droseraauriculata081206sk6.jpg

droseraauriculata081206oy4.jpg

Updates soon ;)

holy COW thats a lot of sundews. i want to do something like that too, only with P. esseriana.

Nice seedlings and nice photos.

If you don't start thinning and transplanting, you will soon lose lots of little plants.

why will they loose a lot of seedlings?

They will prove survival of the fittest. Some will receive enough resources, most will not. Space, light, nutrients, etc. are all critical for survival. Usually those that grow larger first, continue to grow larger faster, the "runts" will be left behind, and usually die from lack of resources. Sometimes, after the "runts" have been shaded too much by their larger sisters, they will be attacked by adventitious pathogens (called damping-off), and this can threaten the entire group, even the larger sister plants.

Neat. They look like moss, they are so dense. Too dense actually. They need to be thinned. Spacing makes them grow bigger faster. As they are now they will stunt each other in competition. Think vegetables. The more space, the bigger and fuller the plant. 1 thinned, well-grown plant is worth 20 crowded, weak plants. When crowded, each plant will not have a full crown- think of trees in a forest compared to trees in the open. DO you want plants like in a forest, thin and tall, or ones in the open, wide and lush?

Listen to Joseph Clemens, he knows what he is talking about.

They're so close because when I was sowing them, sometimes the seeds fell all at once, that's why those thick spots ;) And yes I'm planning to separate them soon
biggrin.gif
I'm aware of overcrowding but thanks anyway
smile.gif

I'll keep some of the strongest that are standing out in the crowd to myself, the others I'll give to friends, the leftovers I still don't know yet.

Sounds like a superb plan.

Some update. The seedlings still all together, I'll just have time to separate them in the end of the month.

January 4th

Drosera capensis
capensis01dt4.jpg

capensis02fb9.jpg

capensis03sv2.jpg

capensis04mz5.jpg

Drosera auriculata
auriculata04cw0.jpg

auriculata01ce2.jpg

auriculata02jj2.jpg

auriculata03ub0.jpg

All for now.