What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

easiest petiolaris complex

they look so cool...

do you know what species are the easiest?

thanks

D. paradoxa. I think D. falconeri is easy, too.

I have found these to be fairly demanding plants, even the supposed easiest --D. paradoxa!!
The problem is when they enter dormancy. Leaves shrink and the growing point really slows down. It's a bit confusing to know how wet to keep them when dormant. If you keep them too dry, they die, too wet, they die....
If you can keep them in constant warm to hot temps, you should have success. I have found that temps dropping to 65 degrees still can induce dormancy.

Hope this helps...
Peter.

would I be able to grow those outside in the summer? It's really humid then.

I would think so. In my terrarium, i let the temps go as high as 110 degrees and they seem to like it!
Peter.

I do and they do great. Bring them in in the off-chance that there's a cold snap or something.

i heard that dormancy isn't a requirement..is it true?

yeppers. Sometimes they do it anyway though :)

Supposedly they will continue to grow as long as you keep them wet. As noted before they'll sometimes go dormant regardless. They also have a habit in cultivation to go dormant and stay that way. I've heard repotting the plants wakes them up in this case.

Back