What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. graomogolensis about to flower

My D. graomogolensis is about to flower for the first time, any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

dscn0338-copy.jpg

color is accurate. it is the most vibrant pink... (sorry, but proud papa lol)

cheers'
Av

I can't say with any authority but if it is like many tropical/subtropical Droserae then it will probably self-pollinate and produce seed prodigiously. As with most Drosera in cultivation flowering should not be harmful to the plant, although you may see some slowing of leaf growth and dew production until the seeds ripen.

Thanks "Not",

Ive had Cp's off and on for 30+ years but I have just recently become addicted to the sundews. So I am trying to catch up and learn from everyone :)
So far, the only written reference I have found on this species states that they produce very few seeds.

Cheers'
Av

Well, as I said, I'm no authority on the subject. If this species produces few seeds then they would probably be in demand. This is another factor to consider in whether to allow it to flower or not. Flowering probably would not be good for a sickly, stressed out plant but yours looks healthy to me.

How long have you been growing this particular plant?

Im guessing a year, maybe two at the most... it was pretty small when I got it.

The plant is eye-popping pink! Wow!

thanks Finch :)

update,

all is well, vegetative (sp?) growth has obviously slowed but the flower stalk is progressing nicely, should have flowers before too much longer I would think.

Seems like the plant's color has darken from hot pink to a reddish pink, maybe just a diff exposure setting (point and click camera) or maybe a reaction to the stress of flowering.. I dunno ???

drosera_graomogolensis_1.jpg

Cheers'
Av

Very Nice!

Extras of something like that could make good trading material!:bigthumpup:

A redder pink seems typical for this plant from the pictures I've seen, but without a color standard of reference it's difficult to tell.

You probably want to hand pollinate as no one has stepped forward and said that this plant will self-pollinate or if even self-pollination is possible.

We'll know in a few weeks :bigthumpup:

Lookin' good! Will be interesting to see if its self fertile. :bigthumpup:

Ooo, I can't wait to see the flower, I'm not familiar with D. graomogolensis. Actually I had never even heard of it until now! I am impressed. :D

Goodluck. I hope you can self it! I would love to trade for seed or a seedling in the future. I don;t have that one yet.

I am in the same boat as crono. I haven't herd of it yet either.

still my fav Drosera
pic taken yesterday

IMG_20150502_113107.jpg

IMG_20150502_113107%20copy.jpg

:hail:

It's been a long time! Fernando says lack of seeds may be a humidity issue and suggests cutting down the stigmas before pollinating so the pollen tubes have less a road to travel.

It's been a long time! Fernando says lack of seeds may be a humidity issue and suggests cutting down the stigmas before pollinating so the pollen tubes have less a road to travel.

interesting.... lack or excess of?
its on my lower rack, no humidity supplementation.... but still pretty humid by any standard.

Experiment. Clip some, not others. Fernando's write up mentions that species produces very little seed to begin with.

sweet....
thanks for the link!

yep, all these years and as far as I know of, not one seed.
geeze, it is buried in the far rear of my most difficult rack to get too

afraid its up to momma nature to do the deed

Last edited:
I've been growing this species for close to 4 years and have never even had a flower so that is a victory all by itself. Just the same good luck with producing seeds, Av8tor1!

a rare sight indeed...

graomo.jpg

Back