What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need tuberous drosera advice.

JMatt

Stovepipe (The Beast) RIP My friend.
I have this plant that is putting out another little plant on the flower stalk, should I separate and plant or what? I have had this happen to lots of other things, but wasn't sure how to deal with a drosera that makes tubers. I am open for advice!
Thanks.
JMatt
dsc00202bb0.jpg
dsc00249wf1.jpg

wait until they die down to the tuber. then dig em up and put them where you want.
Alex

will it make a tuber if it is suspended like that?

I know how to deal with the tubers, I'm just curious of how I should deal with the plant on the flower stalk. Like, will it grow a tuber in the air? Should I get it in the ground so it can make a tuber????
JMatt

I would personally carefully cut it from the stalk and transplant it in the medium.

oh! that plant! haha sorry. i have no idea.... i would say cut it off the stalk then replant it...but then i wondered if it would make roots and a tuber quick enough before it dies back.
Alex

You might as well snap it off at the part of flower stalk its coming out of and set it on the media. Never seen this on a tuberous dew. Better to try than do nothing, right(though it would be interesting to see an aerial tuber!)?

Cool plant, if you have any seeds to trade later on, let me know. :)

Well, speaking as someone who actually has a number of years of experience with tuberous Drosera (check my growlist if you doubt me) I would advocate not breaking it off the flowerstalk. The plant does not have any roots at the moment and breaking it free straight off will likely result in the plant expiring. Your best bet would be to try and bent it down into contact with the media surface. That should motivate it to form some roots. If it does not interfere with your plans (i.e you are not planning on harvesting seed), I would probably just leave it attached until the scape dies on its own. That way you give the plant the extra lifeline it might need before it is ready to become independant.

Firstly, you've done extremely well to flower Drosera erythrorhiza ssp. squamosa. This species rarely flowers and the chance of it producing seed without a second cloe present is minimal.

I'd do exactly what Pyro has said, bend the plant down to contact the soil and hope for the best. The scapes on this species do not last long after the final flower expires but I have heard of success with similar occurences.

Thanks all for the advice!
I think I will try and bend it down.
We will see what happens. Those started early, but I have many others just gettin going.
Hopefully I will have some cool pics soon.
JMatt

Back