What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera capensis arrived

I ment that it is getting used to the enviroment it is in, I also have a 75 and 20 watt bulb on all my plants that are supposed to give off the same light as the sun.

When the plant becomes more muture, how do you perform leaf cuttings or root cuttings?

Leaf cutting: pluck leaf and lay on moist media.
Root cutting: cut/snap root and lay on moist media.

With D. capensis, leaf cuttings are easiest if you use the water method. Simply clip a leaf off the plant, place in a clear glass or jar and fill with pure water. Place the jar with the cuttings under a light source and in a couple weeks you will have sprouts. If the water evaporates just top it off. If it becomes grungy with algae then pour through a strainer and replace the cuttings in fresh water.

Root cuttings: simply snip off a section of root, and bury 1/2" deep in media of your choice. Sprouts will be visible anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months.. Dont give up on pots of root cuttings.

One final thing. Put that plant in the window man!!! Sunlight is better than ANY bulb out there and D. capensis LOVES full sun.. you cannot kill it with too much sun. Your plant will grow faster, dewier and bigger in the window than it ever will in the basement.

Good luck
Steve

:woot: Thanks for the help, it is starting to get better, in fact I was watering my other plants when I touch it and it was sticky!:woot:

Yeah that happens :)

Wait untill you get to repot large specimen clumps like the binata complex or D. filiformis. That's a lot of fun :censor:

Wat do you mean, my other Drosera I had for a while was replanted with out touching a leaf.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Plants in the Drosera binata complex have a habit of just going everywhere and getting floppy because of their weight.

To be perfectly honest, I usually just put the plants in the sink and spray all of the mucous off before I repot :)

Last edited by a moderator:
:nono: Why don't you put gardening gloves on.:crazy:

.. To be honest I've never thought of that lol

Plants in the Drosera binata complex have a habit of just going everywhere and getting floppy because of their weight.

To be perfectly honest, I usually just put the plants in the sink and spray all of the mucous off before I repot :)
Very strong light, even direct sunlight in combination with periodic vigorous air movement will reduce that "floppiness" quite a lot.

Lol, well floppy wasn't a good word lol. Just.. you know how they get.

I have full sun on the deck :)

With D. capensis, leaf cuttings are easiest if you use the water method. Simply clip a leaf off the plant, place in a clear glass or jar and fill with pure water. Place the jar with the cuttings under a light source and in a couple weeks you will have sprouts. If the water evaporates just top it off. If it becomes grungy with algae then pour through a strainer and replace the cuttings in fresh water.

Root cuttings: simply snip off a section of root, and bury 1/2" deep in media of your choice. Sprouts will be visible anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months.. Dont give up on pots of root cuttings.

One final thing. Put that plant in the window man!!! Sunlight is better than ANY bulb out there and D. capensis LOVES full sun.. you cannot kill it with too much sun. Your plant will grow faster, dewier and bigger in the window than it ever will in the basement.

Good luck
Steve

Which of these methods would work best with a D. Binata staghorn sundew??

My plant has now pushed out 2 sticky leaves and 3 a growing now.

this may not be the right place to ask this question, but does anyone know if the red pigment in sundew plants in anthocyanin?

and one of my sundew plants has no red colouring (as in the hairs on the leaves are white, and so are the flowers). is this a common variant?

Sounds like capensis "alba". It's one of the four varients(broad-leaf, narrow-leaf, red leaf, and alba). It's supposed to be a very attractive varient.

yep! the alba variety. it SHOULD be called D. 'Albino' its a registered cultivar. i love mine :) my favorite plant! ill be experimenting with it this year with keeping it out all year in my Zone 6 weather.
Alex

It's not really albino... They do have some red in strong light.

I'm still looking for Bains Kloof. Hint Hint anyone....

Bain's Kloof? Is that a variety or just where King's & Capes grow?

Back