What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

drosera peltata germination

hi, can't find information on drosera peltata growing from seeds :-( have no idea what type it is :-( subtropical? tropical? temperate? ??? :crap:
help!!!!

It's a winter growing tuberous drosera. Just plant them in the fall, keep em cool and wet and hope they germinate. In the summer they should die down to their tubers and then come back up in the fall when temperatures drop. I would use a larger pot to protect them from summer heat and keep them mostly dry in the summer. Peat and sand is a good combo for substrate as well. I've germinated auriculata before (which is a subspecies of peltata) without much difficulty, the problem for me was keeping the seedlings alive.

I'm sure you'll get some more tips if you keep checkin' back.

Good luck!

thanx! so i have wait for the end of summer and only then to seed them, right?

after your tip i found this information:

The seed of most species will not germinate unless they have experienced a period of warm or hot stratification as would be experienced in summer.
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedbank/species/D_auriculata.htm

what is your experience? should they be dry during hot stratification?

I just initiated D peltata & auriciulata, this past summer. I put them in my hot, dry attic in August and they germinated in September. I had them up there until November and then moved them to the unheated stairway window sills for the winter. They seem to be doing fine, in an open tray setup. And as you read, they need that hot, dry stratification first.

They don't NEED it but it probably makes the germination rate A LOT higher. I always skipped that part so I forgot about it, sorry. :/

Jimscott, how much water did you give them during the stratification period?

Just enough to cover the surface, and then I covered it.

Back