What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

is D. fulva easy?

its like the only thing for sale that i could find......

D. fulva is as easy (or not as easy) as the rest of the petiolaris group.
You must be able to provide high temps for most of the year. You have to be able to deal with dormancy as well.
I have 2 plants of it now, and both are in some stage of dormancy. The tank is heated to about 80 degrees at night and 90 plus in the day.

Peter.

so they go dormant if it gets too hot?

is dormancy a requirement?

thanks

Petiolaris complex Drosera tend to go dormant during the dry season, which is winter where most of them grow in Australia. I'm not familiar with the growing range of most petiolaris complex to say if this particular species grows in dry summer month regions. I suspect not.

So it's probably shorter photo-periods, drop in temps and rainfall that signal dormancy to these.

These seem to go into dormancy no matter what i do. Some though are coming out!
Strange bunch of plants. Somewhat unpredictable.
Something you have to live with and get use to if you want to cultivate these Drosera.
Peter.

NotaNumber,

The dry season, in the region that petiolaris grow in, is summer in Australia. Petiolaris complex are in active growth during the winters, which, again in the areas where Petiolaris complex grow, are warm and wet.

While there may be a photoperiod trigger I suspect it is more to do with response to moisture. If you read any of Lowrie's literature, he notes that, by and large, the majority of plants of many of the species tend to be found in depressions or against stone faces where moisture retention is longer than the surrounding open areas. Plants found in such areas will be in active growth while another plant of the same species in a less protected but otherwise identical area are dormant.

D. fulva is a moderatly easy plant. It is not as easy as paradoxa so do not expect windowsill growth. Probably ranks in with petiolaris or falconeri for ease though.

NotaNumber,

The dry season, in the region that petiolaris grow in, is summer in Australia. Petiolaris complex are in active growth during the winters, which, again in the areas where Petiolaris complex grow, are warm and wet.

While there may be a photoperiod trigger I suspect it is more to do with response to moisture. If you read any of Lowrie's literature, he notes that, by and large, the majority of plants of many of the species tend to be found in depressions or against stone faces where moisture retention is longer than the surrounding open areas. Plants found in such areas will be in active growth while another plant of the same species in a less protected but otherwise identical area are dormant.

D. fulva is a moderatly easy plant. It is not as easy as paradoxa so do not expect windowsill growth. Probably ranks in with petiolaris or falconeri for ease though.

Okay, I must have my regions wrong. I thought the petiolaris complex grows in the Northern and (mainly) Northwest Territories of Australia, the so called tropical regions. According to this article from the Australian Government, the seasons in Australia are thus:

* Summer: December to February
* Autumn: March to May
* Winter: June to August
* Spring: September to November

Australia's tropical regions

The tropical regions of Australia are in the north of the country. They include the central and northern parts of the Northern Territory and Queensland, and the northern parts of Western Australia. The weather in the Australian tropics has two very different seasons: the wet season and the dry season.

The wet season lasts about six months in summer and spring, between December and March. It is hotter than the dry season, with temperatures between 30 and 50 degrees Celsius. This is because of the high humidity during the wet, which is caused by large amounts of water in the air. During the wet there is a lot of rain, which frequently causes flooding.

The dry season lasts about six months in autumn and winter, usually between May and October. Temperatures are lower and the skies are generally clearer during the dry. The average temperature is around 20 degrees Celsius.

The 'build up' is the humid time of year between the wet and dry seasons. It usually lasts for three or four months. Things become quite tense during the 'build up' as people sit and swelter in the humidity while waiting and hoping for the first rains to come. The humidity continues day and night with no respite, so when the rains finally do come everyone enjoys their cooling relief.

???

Moisture levels is probably the most important determining factor in dormancy as supposedly this complex will continue to grow if kept wet.

The Far North (Kimberly) region of Western Australia appears to be the petiolaris complex growth area (between Broome and Kimberly)

Distribution maps of Drosera petiolaris and Drosera paradoxa

Weather averages for Broome Post Office and Kimberly Res. Station

Broome Post Office: Latitude:-17.9500 S Longitude: 122.2500 E Elevation: 19.0 m
Kimberly Res. Station: Latitude:-15.6547 S Longitude: 128.7092 E Elevation: 31.0 m

Last edited:
Maybe I am misreading but what I get from the material I have read is that the winters are warm/hot and wet while the summers are hot and dry. Monsoonal-type climate, always warm/hot just variance in how wet. Never "cold".

Oh bloody hell. I went and did the dumbest thing and you are welcome to laugh at me for this.

I transposed seasons. Through all the petiolaris stuff I havebeen reading I have been applying N. Hem. seasonality.

:crazy: I am a total nut job :poke: feel free to break out the stick.

Still, I am right about the monsoonal-type biome. Rain drops in summer but the temps are pretty constantly warm. Only 10 degrees average variance over the course of an entire year is pretty stable temp wise.

Naw, it drives me nuts too, and to top it off the Aussies drive on the other side of the road :suspect:

The FloraBase has some great information: descriptions of the habitat niche and typical soil for each species. Unfortunately D. fulva and D. falconeri are not in the database :crap:

YEah but while I was transposing the seasons for petiolaris I still managed to keep the tuberous straight. How is that for nuts?!?

Yep, the summer season is the wet and humid one whereas the winter period is slightly cooler and dry.

Members of the petiolaris group are not only confined to the Broome and Kimberley area (Kimberley is a region not a town), but to the entire northern region of Australia including the Northern Territory (like a state but the population is not high enough) and the states of Western Australia and Queensland.

And you guys ar the ones driving on the wrong side of the road. :)

Ah, ok. One of the maps I looked at had "Kimberly" in bold on the coast and again in lighter letters in the land mass. I was guessing that the Kimberly region was named after a town.

Us Yanks are so ignorant on geography anyway.

And I said 'the other side' of the road :D

so...winter dormancy? or summer?

hm...very comfusing. pingman's dew are dormant, and it's winter

in usa...so....

Dormancy for petiolaris complex is the dry season which is autumn and winter in the NNW regions of Australia. Reduce the amount you water them if they go dormant or you can get root rot.

Winter is winter regardless of the hemisphere or month.

Rain drops in summer but the temps are pretty constantly warm. Only 10 degrees average variance over the course of an entire year is pretty stable temp wise.

That's as far as I've looked into it. So far, in the 3+ years I've been growing these plants, reduced light levels have been the key factor in triggering dormancy. Smaller rosettes, flowers, good times. Once my timers get down to 12-13 hours a day, then my plants change their growth.

Nice discussion and great advice on this topic :banana2:

Flora Base rocks!

-Homer

Great read! I thought my petiolaris was going dormant, but I could not figure out why....temps are increasing, plants are staying just as wet, but I changed my lights from 16 hr light to 13 hour light (I forgot to do so in Dec/Jan). I guess that's why they kept shooting up flower spikes - like 9 on 2 plants in the past 2 months.... Its time to dry them out a little and wait for the photo period to change back.

Back