What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

peltata/ auriculata seedling questions

CP30

A Cajun(isc) Carnivore
In fall of 2005 I sowed 3 pots of peltata and auriculata location seed. In March I finally got some peltat sprouts. Having not researched enough, in June I trashed the 2 cups I was using for the auriculata. :-( I decided to try to avoid summer dormancy for the 1cm size rosettes (7 of them). I kept the sprouts inside (for the AC in the Louisiana heat) in a terrarium that received bright, but not direct light. They did not grow much, but they did not go dormant. In late Oct, when we finally got out of the 80's consistently, I moved them outside to a covered porch for the winter. They have grown a little, but are still less than 1" with no visible vertical growth.

Question 1: with my short winter growing season, are they big enough for dormancy this year?

100_5462.jpg

100_5465.jpg

In November 2006 I sowed 2 more pots of auriculata, prepared to wait years this time. I now have about 30 pin-head sized sprouts. I sowed them in milled LFS. The outside temps are already in the upper 70's and hit 80F the other day. My garage grow rack is usually about 10F hotter than outside.

Question 2: should I do the same thing I did last spring for the peltata or should I let these go dormant this summer?

100_5451.jpg

Please share your knowledge and opinions!

Last edited:
The best thing to do with any tuberous is to let it do what it wants and then act accordingly. So growthem cool as long as you can and keep an eye on them. If they start to go dormant then let the pots dry out until you see growth again. You should never try to force tha plants into dormancy, doing that will just end up killing the plant.

Let them grow. They will tell you what they want to do.

Back