What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How I grow petiolaris complex

• Thread starter Pyro
  • Start date

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
Thought this might be of interest.

I have 4 40L tanks set up this way. Lighting is by 2 120cm shop light sets (2 tubes per set). Heat is by 50W aquarium heaters in submerged in the water.

From the front

P2230007.jpg

From the side

With the access panel

P2230011.jpg

Access panel removed

P2230009.jpg

Showing heater

P2230010.jpg

Close up on the access panel. To make these I just use window screen material and toss a piece of plastic along the sides (if anyone wants a better explaination on how to make one I can give the details.)

P2230012.jpg

And a graphic on how the air circulates. The red arrows show air flow. Cool air comes in the bottom and hot air out the top. If you look at side view with the access panel in place you can see condensation on the top.

P2230007circ.jpg

A different tank (more plastic so higher humidty) but it shows well how the air flow runs. Where there is free access to the screen the glass remains condensation free, where the airflow is impeded by plastic there is condensation.

P2230008.jpg

These are great, again helpful for me. I used a 20 gal much the same way with standing water and a submerged heater. I never thought of turning it on its side, and was frustrated with the wasted vertical space... Do you ever have problems with water stagnation? I ended up using a filter for circulation.

Steve

I use a tank on its side as well. I don't have any water on the bottom though. For a heater i use a reptile heating cable that is wrapped on the inside of the tank. It keeps it about 80 degrees at night.
Peter.

Nice!

This will have to be my own personal "sticky"! I'd have to supplement heat with a submercible heater, along with the tank and flo lighting.

Well done! I posted some photos a few years back of my setup that are very similar to yours. I didn't have the air circulation you have; that's a nifty feature that is important.

As a side note, its very nice to see more and more Petiolaris Complex topics/discussions posted all the time, as more growers cultivate these unique plants.

Pyro - quick question: do you cross-pollinate your Woolies? I ask this because I've found it to be very-worthwhile and rewarding.

I've had success this past year with the following:
(dilatato-petiolaris "Nhulunbuy, NT") x ordensis
(lanata x broomensis) x ordensis "Type Area, Mirama Neal, Australia"
ordensis x paradoxa

I have an ordensis x kenneallyi in the process of cross-pollination now. Can't wait until all the hybrids become large/old enough to distribute.

-Homer

Thank you Homer, your praise I value highly.

THe air circulation thing is just a sort of fluke of the system, I did not design the set up with that in mind.

As far as cross-pollinating, I admit to my shame that I have not been. I know that I should and I keep telling myself I need to but I never really get around to it. At the moment I don;t have much blooming either other than 4 or 5 different paradoxa clones and I am not sure I need (or anyone else wants) more paradoxa.

I have some petiolaris putting up inflourescens though, I will do my best to cross them with something...

THe ordensis x kenneallyi sounds cool. Can not wait to see what it turns out looking like. I have been very impressed with the ordensis x paradoxa I got from you, very pretty little plants

You have a neat setup. Those plants are beautiful.

I just ordered myself a pygmy sundew. I think they're lovely plants. :)

I found it difficult to cross-pollinate my plants during the week, as they bloomed for only a few hours a day (while I was at work). I ended up taking my plants to work and pollinated them at my office. So, don't be ashamed! It's not easy... I do the pollinating on weekends nowadays.

I've very pleased with the ordensis x paradoxa as well! I haven't lost 1 single plant out of the batch :banana2: Strong plants!!

Once some of my other little ones develop their characteristics and get larger, I'll post another thread.

thanks Pyro!

-Homer

I like that set-up a lot. Now if I could only get a set-up for ultra highland neps. That's what I really need.

Yes, well I work 06:00-14:00 so it is harder for me to claim missing their bloom period. Though the rugrat is usually down for a nap when I get home and going into the back room (which shares a wall with her room) and tinkering around would probably disturb her. Of course saying she is down for a nap does not mean she is asleep so...

I like the idea of bringing the plants into work so as to pollinate them. Do you need to do anything special for that? Put them under a high wattage bulb or something for heat? I might take that route. Just checked last night and kenneallyi is showing a coupld impendings inflourescens so maybe I can cross that with something.

Do you need to do anything special for that? Put them under a high wattage bulb or something for heat?

Yes, I brought to work a seedling tray (1'x2') with a 24" long fluorescent light fixture and heating mat. I pain, but it was worth it. If you're around on weekends, you can simply pollinate them, depends on how many seeds you want.

-Homer

Very nice falconeri's. with a couple of sessilifora/burmanii's to boot!
Peter.

Thanks. Not as nice as your avatar though. Those are the ever-present burmanii in there with them.

Very impressive Manny. It looks like the rightmost is starting to spiral inward...

Close up on the access panel. To make these I just use window screen material and toss a piece of plastic along the sides (if anyone wants a better explaination on how to make one I can give the details.)

P2230012.jpg

:-O I have the exact same deal on one of my tanks. I taped ziplocs on the inside of mine. And here I thought I was the only one cheap enough to do it that way!

Looks great though. I think using two or more fixtures next to each other is the key to using flourescent fixtures. I have just one over my plants and I have trouble getting anything to color up that isn't directly under the lights.

Peter

Pyro...thanks. It does kinda look like it's spiraling inwards. Hope it keeps getting bigger though.

:-O I have the exact same deal on one of my tanks. I taped ziplocs on the inside of mine. And here I thought I was the only one cheap enough to do it that way!

Actually I use the spline to hold the plastic on. Does not give way under perpetual humidity like tape can. I also use winterizing plastic since it is more heavy duty.

Looks great though. I think using two or more fixtures next to each other is the key to using flourescent fixtures. I have just one over my plants and I have trouble getting anything to color up that isn't directly under the lights.

I definitly agree that more light is better. I would go to 6 tubes if I had the room but...

It does kinda look like it's spiraling inwards. Hope it keeps getting bigger though.

Hey Manny,

if it does keep spiral then it might be trying to go dormant. If that happens then try to cut back on the water some. If you can safely allow the tray to dry for 2-3 days that should be good.

I've been keeping them drier in the winter, but now the days are getting hotter and the rainy season is about to start.

Back