What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. scorpioides pics

I was bored so took some pics of my D. scorpioides. Not the best, and the plants are a little unhappy 'cause I let them dry out a lot, but I was only trying to get close-ups of the leaves.

The out-of-focus curled leaf is eating some bloodworm
DSCN3006.jpg

DSCN3007.jpg

DSCN3009.jpg

I like how some of the tentacles are longer than the leaves.

-Ben

Very Nice!!!!
very good pics as well!!

very cool

Yeah, great pix. A tripod makes quite a bit of difference.

Those a great looking plants. I think I know which Drosera species I want to get next ;)

I would put a bit of bloodworm on one of the really long tentacles just to see how it reacts.

Yeah, great pix. A tripod makes quite a bit of difference.

Those a great looking plants. I think I know which Drosera species I want to get next ;)

I would put a bit of bloodworm on one of the really long tentacles just to see how it reacts.

Heh, yeah it does.

I'm guessing this fall I'll have a crudload of gemmae. :0o:

Don't expect another timelapse...:banana2: Lol

-Ben

any words of wisdom?.... I have recently been given a few (thanks JB_Orchidguy :hail: )

Av

Did you receive gemmae or plants? I've heard that plants don't do well when disturbed. But if gemmae, just keep them moist and in bright light, with occasional misting I 'spose. When they sprout, keep them a bit dryer. Once they are well established and a few weeks old, keep them dryer still, but never let them be dried out completely for more than a few days.

-Ben

hmmm I'd guess 3/4" plants

Ive had em about a week I guess... alive and just maybe starting to grow again, not really sure yet

I'd read that same caveat... but so far they're hanging in there

Av

Awesome photo! Looks like you're taking nice care of it, it's so dewey. :)

I hope they do ok.

Thanks!

-Ben

I used to grow this species and I loved how fast the tentacles would react to struggling prey. I would put an ant on one of the longer, peripheral tentacles (like someone suggested earlier in this thread) and watch as the neighboring tentacles all closed in. The entire process happened very quickly, second in speed only to D. burmanii.

Do you have any extra gemmae lying around Ben? For some reason I remember sending you a bunch of these plants a long time ago!

I have scorpoides but they are producing gemmae so there leafs are croaking but I have a HUGE pot of like 40 of them that are sprouting from gemmae :D

I used to grow this species and I loved how fast the tentacles would react to struggling prey. I would put an ant on one of the longer, peripheral tentacles (like someone suggested earlier in this thread) and watch as the neighboring tentacles all closed in. The entire process happened very quickly, second in speed only to D. burmanii.

Do you have any extra gemmae lying around Ben? For some reason I remember sending you a bunch of these plants a long time ago!

No, mine haven't made any gemmae this year, even though I've tried to make them produce some. Maybe they're not old enough? I don't think you sent me any before, but you sure did send me a bunch of other plants lol.

-Ben

Well have gemmae for trade withing the USA,
Gemmae for gemmae trade would be cool :banana2:

Very nice pictures...makes me wish I weren't so camera challenged lol

-Gabe

lucki mine died but it left a tuber like seed thing and i dont know what i is and it was red less than 1mm long

Well I have scorpoides gemmae and am getting others;
mine produced so much that they may have been suicidal.

Well I have scorpoides gemmae and am getting others;
mine produced so much that they may have been suicidal.
Nope, no such luck. You're in for a few years of harvesting a bajillion gemmae every fall for 3 to 4 months at a stretch. Mine started producing gemmae back in mid September and they are still going strong.

Back