What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Really long D. binata multifida

A couple of months ago I got some multifida (multi-fork sundew). They all had their typical stems and forks and was about 4 - 5" tall. One of the plants started to send up some really long stems. I figured it was sending up a shoot to flower. I had let it go to try my hand at pollenating and sowing the seeds. The others, I've been propogating through leaf cuttings. I went to check on it today and noticed that those long stems (some reaching 1.5 - 2 feet) :0o: were not flower stalks, but were stems to the multi-forked leaves. Is this normal? From the pictures I've seen of this plant, I've never seen the stems that long.

Unless you really blast them with light (IE, grow them outdoors in full sun) these guys get gangly - there's no way around it. Grow it in a hanging basket or leave it outside during the warm season.
By the way, D. binata strains aren't self-fertile - you need another nonidentical plant to produce seed.
~Joe

Unless you really blast them with light (IE, grow them outdoors in full sun) these guys get gangly - there's no way around it. Grow it in a hanging basket or leave it outside during the warm season.
By the way, D. binata strains aren't self-fertile - you need another nonidentical plant to produce seed.
~Joe

But, of course, there are some Drosera binata that are self-fertile, and can get as weedy as many other self-fertile Drosera.

Really? I'd never heard of a self-fertile individual. Just goes to show you can't always go by experience, I guess. In any case, the general wisdom is that they aren't - if you find that your plant does produce viable seed, please send me a cutting! :)
~Joe

I can attest to multifida extrema being self fertile.. I have many babies growing in pots next to "infertile" plants. lol

Also, you can readily tell a flower from a typical leaf by the fiddlehead stem.. if it unrolls from over the top its a flower.. if it unrolls from under its a leaf... This trait is true in every D. binata form I have grown to date.

Steve

They also propogate very well through leaf cuttings.

vft guy, I did not know about the different type of curlings. That's neat. I'll have to keep an eye on that.

I've been doing the leaf cuttings that I had seen someone make a pictoral instruction page. I've gotten some really good results from doing that. The multifida seem to be slower at propogating from leaf cuttings in comparison to the "regular T-shaped" binata.

If I'm reading it correctly, I may need to get some more lighting for my multifida. It is the lack of light that is causing one of them to become very long.

Are the offspring of multifida extrema backcrosses self-fertile, or even viable? Does the selfing trait breed true with others in the binata group?
~Joe

I've noticed that when I placed my straight up binata leaves in sealed tubes, at a window sill, they sprout within a couple weeks. When I did that with the multifida extrema x Marston dragon, they all rotted. Then I tried in one of my pipette containers and the ME x DD took several weeks to sprout. But at least they sprouted instead of dying.

I went to check on it today and noticed that those long stems (some reaching 1.5 - 2 feet) :0o: were not flower stalks, but were stems to the multi-forked leaves.

Do you have a picture of this? I would be interested in seeing this.

xvart.

Back