What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who likes pictures? (3 CP pix)

The light was great this morning so I broke out the camera and took some shots. Here are three that I really liked.

D. scorpiodes

dscorpiodes.jpg

D. binata (or is it D. dichotoma?)

dbinata.jpg

P. primulaflora flowers (Obviously not a sundew. Think of it as a bonus picture :-D )

pprimulaflora-flower.jpg

Great pictures! I really like the D. scorpiodes.

Great pictures! I really like the D. scorpiodes.
Thanks! D. scorpiodes is a new acquisition for me. I've only had it for about 3 months and was lucky enough to get it full of gemmae so now instead of 3 plants, I have about 20.

Wow that is lucky. I really like D. scorpiodes, I have no idea why...it's just something about the way they look. I don't have any, but it's definitely on my list of plants to purchase....granted that list is pretty long right now. :D

These are great beginner plants and an excellent lesson in plant biology. D. binata propogates via gemmae. P. primuliflora through plantlets and D. binata is real easy through leaf cuttings.

Miss Morbus: The gemmae season is basically over, but you may wanna send a PM to BigCarnivourKid to see if he still has any in his fridge. Many of the rest of us have extra D. binata and P. primuliflora, as well as Mexican butterworts and bombproof sundews.

JimScott, I believe you meant D. scorpioides reproduces through flowers AND gemmae. Not D. binata.

Last edited by a moderator:
jimscott: All three have been extremely prolific for me as well as being almost effortless in terms of care. Most of my CPs are like that though...even the ones considered more difficult such as C. follicularis. I give much of the credit to my climate (zone 9/10). :)

Miss Morbus: The gemmae season is basically over, but you may wanna send a PM to BigCarnivourKid to see if he still has any in his fridge. Many of the rest of us have extra D. binata and P. primuliflora, as well as Mexican butterworts and bombproof sundews.

Thanks for the information. I'm really interested in trading around here, but I don't have anything to trade because I am so new to CP's. And I really hate asking for handouts. I have a couple D. binata's and a couple of the bombproof sundews (which means I will probably have a ton shortly). I don't have any butterworts yet, although that is also on my list to get (at some point). My favorite CP's are Nepenthes with sundews close behind, so I have put most of my obsessive compulsive energy into getting those.

I do have a question about gemmae. If I did get one, since the season is really over, would it still grow right now, or would I have to wait until the next season to plant them? Would they still be good by next season?

Sorry about all my jabbering...I feel like I have hijacked this thread.

Cobalt Crow: I just noticed this. Is that a little stowaway flytrap growing with the D. binata? I always enjoy finding little stowaways in my pots.

MissMorbus, there is NO SUCH THING here as a handout. We willingly give anything to anyone who grows. You can trade if you want, but we share here. One of our "faults" you could say.
And by the way, learn to spell the names of the plants correctly everyone! D. scorpIOIdes is the correct spelling (without the capitals of course).

Joe Clemens, see what you've done to me!!!!!!!!!

Cobalt Crow: I just noticed this. Is that a little stowaway flytrap growing with the D. binata? I always enjoy finding little stowaways in my pots.

The D. binata is actually in a small mini-bog with some VFT's. The stow-aways with them are d. alicea and a couple of hybrid pygmy sundews. I love stowaways too, except for the u. bisquimata which I allowed to proliferate in my garden before I realized what a pest it can be. Oh well, live and learn. :)

Oh man, I've been spelling scorpioides wrong for a very very long time. XD

Nice pictures! My primuliflora is sending up a flower stalk right now too. I like their flowers a lot.

Scorpiodes is probably one of my favorite pygmeas as well, mostly because it isn't really that... pygmea..ish?

ChronoKiento: If you give the primulaflora a bit of room to spread, you'll get a patch of flowers in a year or so. I also have a p. macroceras which is supposed to have a beautiful flower. I just got it so I haven't seen it bloom yet. I hope it does this season.

Oh, my scorpiodes seems like it may be blooming too so I'll take some pictures and post if it happens.

The gemmae season is basically over, but you may wanna send a PM to BigCarnivourKid
Jim, would you please tell my stupid plants that. They won't listen to me. I took this pic 2 days ago. This is the second bunch (at least) from these plants.

199777961O615618128.jpg

@Cobalt Crow: Here's one (as in the only one :-( )of the few "decent" pics I managed to take of my pink flowered scorpioides last June.

199777987O899396320.jpg

Steve
The scorpioides nut :-O

Jim, would you please tell my stupid plants that. They won't listen to me. I took this pic 2 days ago. This is the second bunch (at least) from these plants.

@Cobalt Crow: Here's one (as in the only one :-( )of the few "decent" pics I managed to take of my pink flowered scorpioides last June.

Steve
The scorpioides nut :-O

It's tough to take a good picture of scorpiodes because of all the fine detail (in my opinion). The flower is prettier than I thought. I'm really looking forward to the blooms now! :)

Last edited:
Back