What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. ericksoniae x pulchella

stacker

slightly askew
I recently acquired a D. ericksoniae X pulchella. I read that pulchella doesnt need the dormancy but what about the ericksoniae. I was wondering if I need to give it dormancy or not? If I do not give it a dormancy period will I still get gemmae? Thanks for your comments.

In general, the pigmy sundews haven't seemed to have needed a dormancy period. I always had mine at window sills, where the heat differential for the seasons weren't nearly as extreme as that of their Australian counterparts. But the photoperiod changed with the seasons. They didn't go dormant and flowered during the summer, as well as produced gemmae in the fall. But maybe they weren't at their best, either(?)

Thank you for the response. This is my first pygmy. I read that the hybrids are much easier to grow. I am concerned that I will not get gemmae.

Did you keep your media wet or did you let it go dryish?

I tend to let them dry out a bit between waterings. Not too much though as they will crisp up in short time. As far as dormancy all mine are stuck in with everything else and get short days and cooler temps in the fall/winter. Pretty soon you'll have more than you know what to do with !

Thank you I will give that a shot when the time comes. I got confused I thought I read that they needed to go drier when it was hot. I am really enamored with these little guys!

I kept mine moist, replenishing water ~once a week. Maybe twice a week in the summer. Perhaps I kept them more moist than necessary...

Back