What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dew lost stick

Okay today I went to Lowes and I bought one of those tubes. It had a flytrap sundew and tropical pitcher plant all in one pot. I brought it home and watered it and put it outside. (I will put it in a tray when I can find one that isnt being used. ) I came back outside like 45 mins later and all the dew was gone! It was all dewy before. It isnt in the cube top so would that be it? And also would the plants be okay if i didnt unpot them or anything right now?

An abrupt change in conditions will often cause a plant to lose its dew.

I would repot asap with each plant in its own individual pot. Neps are not likely to be too happy with the ammount of water that the VFT and Drosera are going to need. Regardless, these guys will outgrow that small 3 inch pot in very short order so, repot is the way to go.

Since the plants are already stressed a bit, might as well put them into their new homes now as I see no point in aclimitizing them in the community pot only to stress them again as soon as they get settled.

Good luck
Steve

The proteins are still on the glands, the water that made up the majority of the mucous just evaporated.

yeh i could concur with others, they are stressed from the drastic change of environment

I also agree with the others. Drosera and VFTs especially can throw fits when stressed. When I moved last spring more than half of my VFTs tried to kill themselves in protest. Sundew dew production seems to be a matter of light as much as anything else. If it's lost its dew because of stress, just give it plenty of light. Don't worry about it too much if dew doesn't come back on the old growth; the new growth should be dewey.
My experience with Neps is that they'll just stop growing for a while. However, Neps grow in different conditions from VFTs and sundews (I'm assuming the sundew you have is one that grows in VFT-like conditions) and I think most people use a different soil mix for them as well. Like everybody else said, I would repot asap.

I potted the nep in ~half perlite and ~ peat due to me not having spag. The VFT is in all peat and the same is with the dew. Though they all have some spag in the mixed which is what was with the cube. I think it was either this thread or another thread that said that the nep should have shade. Well I put it behind some pots where it will be shaded but still get some sun. Though it may not have much shade at certain times of the day. ??? I try....

I would that the "Lowes Cube Of Death" was probably kicking around for awhile, so it was already suffering from neglect. Then add to the weakened state the change of conditions, and you have plants in shock. Give them good conditions, stability, and a few weeks.... and then look for new growth.

Back