What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. capensis 'Giant' getting freakin' huge

Just wanted to share a pic of my D. capensis "Giant" that I guess is still a baby? Nonetheless, it's freakin' huge, and I had to move it down to my Nepenthes shelf. Hopefully it's still getting enough light.

DSCN3460.jpg

What's funny is that it's pretty much as big as a full-grown normal D. capensis.

-Ben

Last edited:
Wow that thing was tiny when I sent it to you.

Mine died back when I stuck it in full sun lmao. It's coming back though.

Lol it ate like two huge house flies. I might have to force this sucker to go into dormancy so I have room in winter, even though they don't go dormant....

-Ben

when my D. 'Albino' (whatever you want to call it...capensis alba...) got too big i binned the plant and took some roots and i have 3 plants from that. besides... you can distribute the roots if you were to do that,
Alex

Holy cow!
What a healthy looking capensis. Do you do anything special to get it looking good? Maybe catching horse-flies or giant beetles for a snack.:0o:

Nice lookin' plant! Didn't know there was such a things as a "Giant" Capensis. Looks like there is though.
I love Capes! Another overlooked plant cause of it's widespread availability but I still say it's one of the best of the Dews...

Thanks.

Heh, yeah it's eaten two house flies so far, plus I'm sure some other stuff. I think just the fact that I gave it a large pot is what made it grow so big so fast.

-Ben

Could you post a picture with a ruler near the longest of the dewy leaves? I want to see how mine compares (I don't have a giant I don't think, I just have some seed from someone on here). But, mine last night ate a big bug, looks maybe like a male lightning bug. I thought it was too big and that it'd just mutilate the goo. I tried to pull it off but it grabed the leaf tight, so I decided to do it later when it let go. Well, an hour later I looked and it was held fast. 3 of the legs and an antennae were stuck. This morning I checked again and every hair on that leaf is holding the bug (but only about half is actually touching the bug, the other half are all stuck together holding 3 legs in one place). It is too low, I was trying to bend another leaf to hold it but the others are all long so that didn't work ;-)

I love D. Capensis, the stuff is impossible to kill. Trust me, I can kill a CP no problem. I went about 2 weeks without watering because I had run out of distilled water and lost 3 of my kinds of sundews, now I have only capensis. I have them indoors but I also have some other plants so I have gnats in the soil. Well, I have many FEWER gnats now that my drosera is flourishing again ;-) I have had two flowers, right now another of the plants is putting up the flower stalk.

What is sad about my story though is out of the two flower sets I had I had a ton of seed, I planted them and so far have only had two plants come up. There were gnats in the peat though, I wonder if maybe they ate the seeds? I don't really know, all I know is not a lot have sprouted yet. I am trying to get several square feet of capensis though. I need to expand my drosera repetoire though.

DSCN3488.jpg

Fungus gnats don't eat seeds.

-Ben

Wow, that is huge! On mine the longest leaf has about 1 1/4" of dew, I think the longest I've had when all of them were doing well was mayb 1 1/2". If gnats don't eat seeds I have no idea what I did wrong then. There are a lot of seeds coming from two stalks. I MAY have kept them too wet, my current batch I had given up on them and stopped watering them for 2 or 3 weeks when I saw a little sprout of green, then I started watering again. Congrats on a good looking plant!

I'm curious as to how big it actually is also. It looks as big as the majority of mine.
Andrew

I'm curious as to how big it actually is also. It looks as big as the majority of mine.
Andrew

I just posted a pic on the previous page. This thing is still a baby, so it's going to get bigger.

-Ben

I doubt it'll get much larger. Probably grow the leaf blades a tad longer, maybe approaching 2 inches long. It will probably end up with a long stalk of dead leaves and get tall, but who knows!

It is stem forming and was given to me as "Giant" but don't get unrealistic expectations lol.

The mommy died in the great freeze of '07 this year :( Along with her brood.

i had a few plants die in the freeze of 07' too :(

Heh, yeah. (As in look at the furry bud thing)

DSCN3688.jpg

-Ben

I have a pot of D. capensis 'hitchikers' that appear to be of the 'broad leaf' variety. In any case, most of them are about 3 years old and the longest leaves are now approaching 8 inches including stem. Isn't this standard growth? My 'alba' and 'all red' have gotten almost as big. Just how much bigger is this 'giant' everyone is speaking of?

I have the wide leaf type too but when I am in oregon I want to collect the forms of capensis like the giant from.:banana2:

funny. i just noticed a flower bud on my typical capensis. its only about 5 months old from seed. normal?
Alex

Nice monster plant Ben. Makes me want to start growing D. capensis again!

Back