What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

temperate drosera seedlings

these went into dormancy over the winter just from the change in light.
they were kept at 70F all winter.
they just woke up a month ago.
pics
rotundifolia
rotund2.jpg

rotund.jpg

Intermedia
inter2.jpg

inter.jpg

peace,
zero

Wow, nice pics!

How old are they? I have some D. rotundifolia 'Charles Darwin' seedlings that are no where near that big.. so I'm assuming they are probably about 2 years old?

D.rotundifolia and D.intermedia look almost the same to me :O

See.... seedlings CAN take a dormancy!

So the dormancy really helped them? Nice pics!!

- Jeff

they went into dormency for the whole winter at a small size.
I thought they were dead until I got a very close look and saw the small winter bud they had turned into.
the intermedia is flowering profusely.
these are my first temperate drosera, so I didn't know what to expect.
when it warms up here in maine they are going into some of my vft and sarra pots.
peace,
zero

the D. rotundifolia have rounder and wider traps/leaves, and the D. intermedia have more paddle shaped leaves with more accending leaves than almost horizontal.

D.rotundifolia and D.intermedia look almost the same to me :O

It was thoughts like that that led me to the discussion forum. When I began buying CP's from the department stores and nurseries, the names on the pots weren't specific. They would read, "Drosera species" or "Asian pitcher plant". So I leafed through Savage Garden & CP's of the US and Canada, and that helped with obvious plants like D. adelae and S. purpurea. But I had this clump of sundew that could have either been D. rotundifolia, intermedia, capillaris or spatulata. They all looked alike to me. So I turned to the Internet and found a picture from a hobbyist that looked just like mine, which turned out to be spatulata. During that search I accidently stumbled onto the discussion forums.

Back