What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tuberous dormancy question

CP30

A Cajun(isc) Carnivore
Does anyone have pics of a peltata or other tuberous GOING dormant? I am wondering what the first signs look like. I have several small peltata that are still flowering, but some of the leaves are dying back for the first time. On one the basal rosette is turning black even though the climbng stem is OK and it is still flowering.

I don't have pics, but my D. peltata pretty much just dies back to the ground all at once when it goes dormant. Seems to me that its a little early in the season for them to be going dormant now though. Usually mine grow right up through June or so before they die back.

Steve

I Pereira,

No. Those pictures appear to be a fungal attack. I would treat that pot with a fungicide immediately.

Steve

I do not have any peltata going dormant but my ramellosa is going down and I have already had a few others drop down so it is not too early. Usually it starts from the top down on taller plants but not always. Best bet with pots that house multiple plants though is to wait till all of them have gone down before beginning dormany so I'd just wait till the other in the pot actually does something

I hope that I don't hijack this thread but, how do you keep them over the summer during their dormancy? I have about 7 D. macrantha and this is gonna be my first year with Tuberous Drosera

Once the all th eplants have died back (I am assuming thay are all in the same pot) then remove it from the tray, let it drain and then place it in a zip lock bag but do not close the bag. Keep it in a protected place (out of the sun or extreme heat) and let it dry out slowly. After about a month or so the media should be fairly dry and you can zip the bag closed. Now just leave it that way, in the protected place away from heat, till fall. I usually start checking weekly around August for growth. AS soon as I see any I put the pot on the tray and Bob's your uncle.

i will get you some pics from mine as some of my auriculatas are going dorment. Im at school right now i will have to remind myself.

Thanks for the feedback. It has been in the 80's here off an on for more than a month. Nights still drop to the 60's pretty consistently. Only one has browned. Perhaps it got some fertilizer overspray it did not like. 3 still have flowers so I assume they are not going dormant yet. I look forward to seeing them go dormant and then return.

Back