What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying new Droseras. Easy to grow?

All of my droseras have died...lol almost all of my plants but my neps has died <.<, and I want to buy some new ones plus the usual capensis :).

Besides the D.capensis which is very easy to take care of, I bought some ones that I never took care of before, so I don't know if they are easy. What are the best mixtures for these plants, peat/perlite or peat/sand?

D.venusta
D.nidiformis
D. binata multifida 'pink flower'
D. spatulata x capensis

Do the nidiformis and binata multifida require a dormancy? Are all 4 of these plants easy?
Is the D.spatulata x capensis easy to grow? It's two hardy sundew species, so it should be super easy to grow or maybe I am wrong. I am probably wrong.

lets see.

some of the easy pygmies
rosetted dews like D. aliciae
any of the forked dews
D. adelae
if you live in florida. the winter growing sundews wouldnt be much of a problem for you! that depends on how far down in FL though..

anywho thats just a small list. binata multifida doesnt need a dormancy and im not sure about nidiformis... thats the first ive heard of that plant. and i grow both spatulata and capensis but not the hybrid so i dont really know.

good luck (and welcome back!)
Alex

Is the D.spatulata x capensis easy to grow? It's two hardy sundew species, so it should be super easy to grow or maybe I am wrong. I am probably wrong.

sorry to say, but I have heard that this plant is harder to keep alive than both of it's easy parent plants :-(

Well I live in Miami, are dormancy requiring sundews going to be a problem for me? I always kill dormancy requiring plants, I can't tell if I am keeping the plant too dry or too wet, I always think dormancy means ignore them and hope they survive until spring.

In my experience, the fork leaved sundews are probably the easiest to grow. They love full sun and heat does not seem to be an issue for them at all. I would say that any D. binata form should do well for you.

D. nidiformis grows well for me outdoors in full sun, but prefers to linger in the shady areas at the base of the tall Sarracenia.

D. venusta, and D. spatulata x capensis both prefer growing indoors under fluorescent lights for me. The only spat x capensis plant I had died when I tried to move it outdoors last spring. My D. venusta reacted quite negatively when I tried to put it outside as well. It seems happiest in the corner of the indoor tank under fluorescent lights so I figure if it aint broke, don't fix it.

As far as I know, none of the plants you have suggested require dormancy. It is possible that the D. binata will go through an extreme slow growing phase over the winter months, but not a true dormancy.

Good luck,
Steve

D. capensis, D. aliciae and D. tokaiensis are usually considered beginner plants. Judging from the way my 'Charles Darwin' (D. rotundifolia cultivar) are growing, this might be a beginners plant too.

Basically any of the Drosera species that are tolerant of a wide range of growing conditions and that don't require dormancy are somewhat easy to grow. These are usually the sub-tropical species.

All of my droseras have died...lol almost all of my plants but my neps has died

And that's another reason why neps are the best. Thank you.

I know you should get a D. Capensis. That's pretty easy for me and the famous D. Capillaris. You can't kill that even if you tried. D. Adelae grew for a little bit last year but other then that won't grow for me.

Back