What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hardy Drosera?

Fryster

--Freedom Czar--
I’ve been unable to find a suitable answer on the Net so I thought I’d ask my multi-part question here…

1. Which Drosera are capable of holding their sticky nectar out of a terrarium?

2. If one lives in a medium-to-low humidity area of the US (Zone 5 in fact), which Drosera are good at living indoors as a houseplant??

3. Is there a great difference in the abilities of the temperate and tropical species for “holding their juice”??

I guess I’m looking for some hardy species that would be good for a beginner.

Thanks,

See this thread

I’ve been unable to find a suitable answer on the Net so I thought I’d ask my multi-part question here…

1. Which Drosera are capable of holding their sticky nectar out of a terrarium?

2. If one lives in a medium-to-low humidity area of the US (Zone 5 in fact), which Drosera are good at living indoors as a houseplant??

3. Is there a great difference in the abilities of the temperate and tropical species for “holding their juice”??

I guess I’m looking for some hardy species that would be good for a beginner.

Thanks,

1. All species. They do not grow in terraria in their natural habitats. As long as the conditions are sufficient they should grow. It all depends on where you live. A terrarium just provides a microclimate that you can to a certain extent control light, humidity/moisture and temperature. If I were living on the northern coastal region of Western Australia I could grow petiolaris complex Drosera in my backyard.

2. Temperate species and sub-tropicals. You live in the natural range of Drosera rotundifolia, and perhaps D. intermedia and D. anglica. Why not grow them outdoors? D. rotundifolia may not be a good beginners plant because it seems to spend half of the time in dormancy but if you can get hold of the 'Charles Darwin' cultivar it should be a lot easier growing. Otherwise look at the suggestions in the linked thread above.

3. Given the sufficient growing conditions there is probably very little difference between species.

abilities of the temperate and tropical species for “holding their juice”??
: Not too much.

You should grow D. Capensis. :)

What's more important is having enough good light and clean H2O for the little guys. I'm partial to growing indoors due to my frustration w/ crittters. It's a control thing I suppose :-)) D. capensis would be a good starter for you, check out the ICPS website too for more ideas.

as a newby i killed more Drosera in the enclosed high humidity of a terrarium than due to any other cause. lots of light plus good air circulation is best. keep teh soil wet via a water tray and all should do good. mine have no problem holding their dew when the cold and central air drop the ambient humidity in my house to 15%. good light does more for dew production than most anything else ive found, for me atleast

Back