What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Negative Experience w/ **********

Recently, I ordered a D. gigantea from the above vendor. It arrived as a potted
plant, simply wrapped in newspaper, and consequently, the compost was all over
the box. Moreover, as you may know, D. gigantea is an erect-growing Drosera.
The plant I received featured a three inch stalk, which would have been beautiful,
but because of the incredibly careless, thoughtless packing, was broken in half!

If even a modicum of care had been exercised in the packing of this plant, it
would have arrived in perfect shape. Given that this "company" has been in
business for a while now, it seems that they should know better how to pack
such plants.

Finally, for those who have read the "guarantee" on the company website,
which promises to "fix" any problems if a plant does not arrive in perfect shape,
be aware that when you receive your plant, you also will receive a clarification
of the terms of the "guarantee". This clarification indicates that you must call
the company at your expense within 24 hours, and then ship the plant back to
them, again at your expense. Then, if they accept your "claim", they state that
they'll refund your money or replace the plant. But, if your "claim" is not accepted,
they'll just ship the damaged plant back to you (and by this time, it'll probably
really be damaged). So, the so-called guarantee appears to be effectively
worthless. Additionally, they indicate clearly that email regarding such matters
will not be answered!

I've purchased plants from virtually every CP dealer on Earth over the last couple
of decades, and this incident involves some of the poorest business practices I've
ever seen. Consequently, I'll never do business with these people again.

This is only my experience, but the reader can draw his own conclusions!
Caveat emptor! (Let the buyer beware!)

Interesting,

********** seemed to be the only seller on the net in the US that sells a wide variety of Heliamphora, I also heard from someone who ordered it took MONTHS for them to ship it because it was winter. I may just not buy from them...

I placed my first order with them for a couple of neps a month or so ago. I had a concern about shipping with a heat pack, so I emailed them a few days after I placed my order. They didn't respond. I found a phone number on their website, so I called them. They seemed very aggitated that I called. They informed me that they just hold orders if it's too cold, they don't ship with heat packs (like their website said). They did say that barring a blizzard, it would probably ship out in a few days. Three weeks later it still hadn't shipped and I had not heard a word from them, so I gave them a call just to make sure everything was ok. They informed me that it was still too cold to ship, and they wouldn't be able to ship until probably May. The man I spoke to remembered that I had called a few weeks prior, and again seemed annoyed that I would even be concerned about my order. He very quickly offered that I could cancel my order and place it later when the weather was better, so that's what I did. I requested an email confirmation that my order was cancelled, and I never got one. My card was never charged, so nothing bad happened. Hopefully they actually cancelled my order, and it doesn't find it's way to my doorstep in a few months. During all of this, I was very nice about everything. I tried to explain to him, that I was concerned about having a pending order waiting to hit my credit card. I didn't want them to wait 3 months to send my order and put me in a finacial bind because I wasn't expecting my card to be charged right then. I was also concerned about the weather because they are plants....I certainly didn't want little frozen brown plants delivered to my doorstep. I thought my concerns were reasonable, and I handled everything in a friendly, professional manner. In return I was treated rudely. Quite frankly, I got the feeling that they thought I was crazy. I understand that they need to hold orders for bad weather, but I did not appreciate the way they treated me when I had concerns over my order. I believe that when you are dealing with things that can die in the mail, you need to be sensitive to your customer's concerns. I probably won't be placing another order from them. I've already ordered the plants I wanted from another seller, and they are en route to me right now. Judging from Neps' review, I dodged a bullet on this one.

That's my two cents.

*edit*
Can we post bad reviews of companies on here? I can't seem to find the rules and regs. right now...sorry if I wasn't supposed to post this.

They are probably just in it for the money, like ***** *****.

I wouldn't be surprised if they poached.

I also had a bad experience with this company, maybe a year or so ago. It wasn't terribly bad, but not good.

I ordered some sundews, and they were packed with like green confetti stuff and covered over with some paper and tape, I think. They were pretty loose in the box too, as I remember. One of the plants looks like it was just hastily crammed into some pure peat to be shipped out, since the roots were sticking out all over. The other was in a really small pot with algae on the surface, and looked kind of sickly.

-Ben

Can we post bad reviews of companies on here?

I don't like posting negative statements, but on the other hand, it seems
that letting other people know about one's experiences, both good and
bad, is extremely useful. That way, we can reward the good vendors with
our patronage, and ensure that they stay in business, and we can eliminate
bad vendors. Everyone wins, except those who would employ poor business
practices.

I agree with you. Had I known that there were a lot of people unhappy with their experiences with this vendor, I would not have ordered from them in the first place.

my one experience with them was the easter basket confetti as well (and a sad looking plant) I wasn't real impressed and I have not been back

but on the subject of should we or shouldn't we, I don't think its fair to prohibit good comments but allow bad... it would be too easy for a few to taint the waters so to speak, after all we are taking about what could be a considerable amount of money

at some point the integrity of the group itself comes into question IMHO, I've seen similar situations just about destroy what was once a very good and honorable web group (unrelated subject)

I would advise that the admins consider this matter carefully,

IMHO any such post should have to be submitted and approved. This should only occur after the admins have contacted the vendor for their side of the story and possible resolution. Then and only then should it be posted.

This should also help prevent the resultant flame wars from satisfied/unsatisfied customers/friends/etc

There is a heavy responsibility when dealing with someone's livelihood and reputation

but thats just one mans opinion :)

Av

but on the subject of should we or shouldn't we, I don't think its fair to prohibit good comments but allow bad...

Agreed. But, who said that good comments are prohibited? Anyone can post his
experiences here, good or bad. I simply feel that the service and polices of this company
are poor, relative to all other vendors with whom I have dealt. Moreover, although the
service I received may be an anomaly, the underlying policies, in the form of the "guarantee",
lead me to conclude that my experience is probably not uncommon.

Neps,

good point, I made an assumption based upon a previous thread I was following

clarification is definitely needed here :)

Av

Hey guys, I've said it in a post before but haven't had to address it too often, but since we don't allow advertising for other CP suppliers it is only fair to not allow bad reviews also. I will remove vendor names from this topic.
Andrew

Edit: av8tor- yes I have address this before. No positive, no positive. The rules state no mentioning of other CP vendors this includes positive and negative. But I just eddited the rules to be more clear on that...

3. No sales or advertisements; trades/give-aways only are allowed. Some sales ads MAY be allowed under special circumstances; please contact site administrator, Adnedarn (Andrew), to ask permission to post personal/commercial site links or ads. Since we do not allow the positive advertising or discussing of "other" CP vendors, bad reviews also are not allowed. There is no restriction on trades or sales conducted privately via Private Messages (PMs). We do not monitor PMs. Advertising would include talking about or giving URLS to other CP sellers.

Neps- we don't allow positive reviews of other CP vendors since it is basically advertising for them and this forum is attempting to be supported by my new CP store. (It is open, but the name not yet given out so I can get a few "test" sales before opening the gates)

Hey guys, I've said it in a post before but haven't had to address it too often, but since we don't allow advertising for other CP suppliers it is only fair to not allow bad reviews also. I will remove vendor names from this topic.
Andrew

Edit: av8tor- yes I have address this before. No positive, no positive.

Neps- we don't allow positive reviews of other CP vendors since it is basically advertising for them and this forum is attempting to be supported by my new CP store. (It is open, but the name not yet given out so I can get a few "test" sales before opening the gates)

Andrew, in your position there is no other way you can run it... integrity is such a rare and valuable commodity, well done mate

Butch

My intent in posting the information I did was to offer other people the benefit of my experience, which is fairly extensive in this regard. By censoring my contribution, you prevent others from making informed choices. Bear in mind that nowhere did I denigrate anyone personally; rather, I merely tried to objectively state the situation as I experienced it. If others wish to contribute other, contradictory experiences, they are free to do so. However, to simply censor a topic, in my opinion, reduces the value and usefulness of this forum, and discourages others from participating fully.

Bottom line: when you elect to make a purchase, do you wish to do so in an informed fashion, or would you rather risk being ripped off and later regretting the choice you made?

I can see your point, as expressed above, and I'll abide by your rules, but I don't agree with them.

Av8tor1- thanks

neps, I too understand your reason for wanting to post negative experiences. There is just no way I can allow it and not allow positive postings of suppliers. Which would directly conflict with my new store and could ultimately help my store fail. (By people going there instead of even giving my store a chance since there will be no positive or negative reviews for a little while.) At the rate that small businesses fail, I really need as much stuff on my side as possible. Perhaps once my store gets a name, and people understand the quality I offer, then postings of other CP suppliers can be allowed without hurting me. But for now, this is the best way to go.
Thanks for understanding :)
Andrew

Does having a store make us... fancy?... lol.. I keep imagining in my head that when the store opens up, all the members will be wearing tux's and talking in British accents lol...

...I can't wait till your store opens up Adnedarn :)

(And if you don't put official Terraforums T-shirts in the store I don't know what I'd do:p )

-Gabe

neon-eon: I don't understand the reason for your "fancy" comment? I only mention the opening store as to help you all understand why these rules about other CP vendors exists.

Oh...sorry... I wasn't trying to be rude if it sounded like that :blush:

I understand you dude, I was just having a little burst of ADHD.

I got you :)

Thanks for understanding

No problem. As I said, I see your point, I just don't entirely agree. But, you make the
rules here, and I'll abide by them.

In any case, I wish you every success with your business. You are correct; many new
businesses fail, and I can readily understand your desire to do everything in your power
to be successful. If I were in your position, I would do the same. My point is that I might
do a few things differently, that's all.

Best of luck to you!

Small bursts of ADHD are generally tolerated here. Good thing they're not little bursts of Tourette. hehe I've been told a time or 2 in PM that I "think I'm better than others because I own the forum and a store" So I'm kinda sensitive to comments that may mean that cause I've never meant to sound that way, and I don't understand why anyone would think that. Other than they have nothing else to say? lol :offtopic:!!!

It's cool. Since we're all conversing by typing, it's sometimes hard to tell when people are being random or if they're being rude (I'm generally a random person lol.)

People have no right to be rude to you. You've put so much work into this forum and the vast majority of us are darn thankful for it :)

And I am excited about the store, I'll definatley support it!

(LOL, actually I do have mild tourretes :-)))

Back