What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Capensis question

I am getting some Capensis seed and I was curious if they will sprout in my Oregon coast greenhouse. Outside temps right now are ranging from 40f-75f with the occasonal dip to 32f. I have read about people growing them outdoors in Oregon, but will the seeds sprout or do they neeed to be indoors?

MY other question is what is your favorite heating pad to use for seed flats? I am thinking about getting one to aid seeds in my new greenhouse I built.

Thank you

Capensis will sprout up anywhere as long as rain doesn't wash them away or something like that. That's why I don't start seeds outside.

I'd also be careful with cold temperatures with seedlings as well. They do need to be at least a little warm to germinate usually.

As for a heating pad.. I don't know since I don't use them.. but I think I'll check back when someone does answer that one.

you should be fine...

I think I will just try to grow them with out a pad for now. The greenhouse seems to be staying 5-10 degrees warmer than the outside temp with out any heating at all. And with capensis been such a huge seed producer there is no harm in giving it a try.

I would still like to know about heating pad products people use.

Chris

As long as you protect the pots/trays from rain you can germinate them outdoors. Most CP seeds do not like being covered/buried which rain will do.

Hydrofarms seems to have a monopoly on heating pads but I'm sure there are other "industrial" versions out there.

In theory I suppose heating the soil would increase biological/chemical activity perhaps stimulating growth. Otherwise outdoors the soil temps would rise from absorbing solar energy during the day. This warming could be attenuated in a greenhouse or growing indoors under flourescent lights.

Back