What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosophyllum lusitanicum germination

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
My Drosophyllum lusitanicum was growing for over 2 and a half years. It took around 2 years before the plant flowered for me which it started in November 2006. After continual flowering the plant looked really bad in February and eventually died.
I placed a few seeds in some pots hoping to grow this plant again. Well I noticed today while watering my plants that a seed has germinated so far.

dewygermination.jpg

Congrats :), I tried growing these, but I just can't. The whole double potting thing is weird.

I've tried a few times (have some planted right now even) and have never had any luck... Can you explain the mixture, how wet it is, ever top water mist, humidity levels, temps? Any and ALL help on how you got this to germninate and grew yours for 2 years would be most helpful!!

Nice! What soil did you use? Looks like some vermiculite! Good job :) !!!!

Awww, I can't believe your drosophyllum died! I remember when you first posted about it germinating. Good luck on that seedling there.

I'm also interested in seeing the details about its environment, I want to be ready for the next time I try.

I always wondered if you can sow the seed in the slack pot method or does it have to be transferred?

I am sorry to hear about your pine! Good to see it produced viable seed.
I had 5 germinate last spring and I was very excited - 50 %. Unfortunately only 1 survived the first few (really hot) months, and it flowered last July when it was only 4" tall. It was suggested that I cut the flower and I quickly did. It is good now, and I am awaiting a more normally timed flower.
I recently received more (very fresh- Nov 06) seed from a grower in Australia (or was in NZ?). After 2 months I have 0% germination. Both times I soaked the seed overnight and sowed on pure vermiculite in a small plastic food container and kept moist. I treated the vermiculite with Cleary to prevent fungus. Last time I scarified the seed, I did not this time. :-(
I grow mine in equal parts sand, perlite, vermiculite, pumice, and 1/2 part peat with a little lava rock mixed in for kicks and as a topdressing to keep everything in place. I am using the Slack method, as well.
What are you germinating your seeds in?

Best of luck with your seeds, I hope you see more sprout soon.

I've got seeds soaking in water, but haven't noticed any germination. Not having good skill with this one. Could someone provide a quick synopsis of the Slack method?

Here's what it says in his book:

"Sow in spring so that the plants have developed woody stems by autumn. All pots must be of clay, their porosity being vital to the method. Take a 4.5 inch (11cm) full length pot and insert a wick consisting of several long pieces of sphagnum moss through its drainage hole. Put a large drainage crock over the latter, and make sure the wick protrudes to the side of this, and also through the bottom of the pot (there is a diagram to the side). Now cover the crock with a thin layer of sphagnum. Fill the pot to within 1/4 inch (6mm) of the top with a compost of two parts granulated moss peat, two parts John Innes compost of two parts granulated moss peat, two parts John Innes Potting Compost No. 2 and one and a half parts of sand, gently firming this. Sow two or three seeds in the central part, 1/8 inch (3mm) deep and 3/4 inch (2cm) apart. Gently firm. Place in 1.5 inches (3.5cm) of water till the surface is damp. Allow to drain. Place a sheet of glass over the top of the pot to cut down evaporation, placing a piece of card or paper over this to cut out all light. I never apply bottom heat, finding the coolhouse temperature adequate for germination within about 6 weeks time. Regularly inspect the pot. If the compost is becoming dry, it should be watered using the immersion technique as above-you must not water from the top. At the first sign of germination the glass is removed. The plant is now placed in a sunny position close to the glass of the greenhouse.

Extreme care is needed in watering; it is not a bog plant and will soon die if overwatered, but will be equally sure to do so if the roots are allowed to become dry. Always water by immersion, and always do so if you are going out for the day and there is the slightest chance of its drying out; these first months are crucial. If more than one seed germinates, pull out the unwanted ones, making quite sure you do not disturb your selected seedling.

When the plant has formed its sixth leaf you can proceed with the next stage. Select a 7 or 8 inch (17.5 or 20cm) clay pot, place three or four corks over the drainage hole, and just cover these with sphagnum moss. Sufficient of the recommended compost is added and firmed, so that if the 4.5 inch (11cm) pot is placed on it, its rim is at least 1.5 inch (1.3cm) above that of the larger. Now put an even layer of sphagnum moss over the compost, using sufficient to ensure that when the smaller pot is placed firmly over it its rim is now 3/4 inch (2cm) proud of tat of the larger pot. Hold it there, and pack the space between the two pots firmly to within 1/3 inch (8mm) of the rim of the larger pot. Now water this sphagnum moss well, and place the pot again in a sunny position near the glass."

Holy crap that was a lot to type. Heh, this isn't illegal to copy out of the book, is it? Heh, I guess it's not a 'quick synopsis' either. Hope this helps.

-Ben

Last edited:
....okay that was a very complex method...

I'm not really sure if I could do that. I should try to make a step by step version, lol.

I'm more interested in seeing how elgecko did it. I don't think he used the Slack method.

Thanks for the comments.

Here’s a pic of the over 2 and a half year old plant….. Dead.

dewyDead.jpg

In it’s better state, alive last summer.

dewypine.jpg

Flowers.

dewyfloweropen.jpg

I have never tried the Slack method for growing Drosophyllum lusitanicum. It sounded more complicated then I was willing to try……
Drop some seed in a pot. Now that’s my speed, well maybe just a touch more involved, but not much.

Let’s start with the pot. I grow my Dewy Pine in an 8” plastic pot. I place the seed in the pot that I want it to grow and spend its entire life span in.
I have read where some people germinate them in a small pot and then transplant the plant to a bigger pot. I think most unestablished small plants are touchy when transplanting, and knowing that this plant is extremely touchy, why chance it?
Place the seed in the 8” pot and be done with it, almost (see seed preparation).

My old soil mix was perlite, vermiculite, and play sand in equal parts. This time I use a soil mix of perlite (30%), vermiculite (30%), play sand (30%), and a touch of peat (10%).

As for watering; after mixing my soil and filling the pot I soak the soil till the water runs out the bottom of the pot.

Seed preparation: I use fine sandpaper to sand the seed coat before placing it into the pot. When I can start to see some white through the seed coat, it is sanded enough.
I have read where some people will soak the seed 24 hours in water before sowing. I myself have never tied this and so far have not seen the need.

As for keeping the soil moist, I mist it everyday to keep the top of the soil damp. I continue misting like this till the plant is bigger. Then I no longer mist and water the pot twice a week, letting it dry out more. If you let it get too dry, you can tell the plant is stressed by floppy leaves.

Currently the pot is in my south facing window and will stay there till the plant is larger and can be moved outside.

dewy_pot.jpg

During the Spring / Summer / Fall: I grow my Dewy Pine outside in full sun. During this time the plant gets watered every other day.

During the Winter time I bring the plant inside and grow on the wooden shelf in front of the window.
Winter humidity: 30 - 50% (Lower humidity in the day. I have the humidifier on my furnace set to around 45%. Furnace does not run much, sun shines in the room where I grow the plants and heats the area up.)

Winter / Fall temps: I keep the house cool. Heat set to 64 degrees. (Humidified air feels warmer then dry air) During the day it can hit mid 70's with the sun shinning in the room where I grow the Dewy Pine. Nights can drop to low 60's.

Hope this helps.

Steven- Never a use of any fungicide for the seeds? I currently have 3 pots with 2 seeds each in them... two I cut the end off of, 2 I sanded as you described and 2 I just soaked. So far, nothin. I do have them in the g/h where they are catching "fog" from the fogger... Any clue on how long to germination? I'm not counting these out :p
Thanks for the details!!!
Andrew

when i get my shelf and therefor have more room, ill start to grow one of these puppies :D too bad about the mama thouhg :( how many seed did you get from it?
Alex

Andrew,
I have never used a fungicide on the seeds.

I was not even going to look at the pot when I was watering, but for some reason I did, and there it was already. I was shocked at how fast this one has germinated. :0o: It might not even be 3 weeks yet, more like 2. I should have written it down when I planted them.

How hot does your greenhouse get? I think I've read a few places that they seem to like it cool to germinate.

when i get my shelf and therefor have more room, ill start to grow one of these puppies :D too bad about the mama thouhg :( how many seed did you get from it?
Alex

I'm guessing just over 100 seeds.
It could have been a lot more, but the flowers the plant was forming near the end of its life never set seed. They flowered, started to form a seed pod, and then the flower stem died before the seeds formed.

nights in the 50s, days (in the hotspots) mid 80s (prolly 70s where they sit... in the draft of the cooler)

YO! You know the pot with the dead plant in it? I use those EXACT pots of the EXACT same size and colour! What a coincidence!

Slacks version of his potting method sounds Romanian to me, my brain can't keep up, which is one reason I don't think I'm going to ever get Drosophyllum. Ever.

It's pretty much just a pot planted inside of another pot.

I've tried twice and can't get them to sprout. Jeremiah has awesome talent, I hope he posts pics.

Andrew,
I would think that there is no problem with the temps.
Are you keeping the top of the soil moist by misting every day?

Good luck with them, hope they germinate soon for you.

Streve, thanks for sharing your approach.

Back