What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Byblis lamellata - species specific advice please

Cindy

Staff member
Anyone could help out with the germination as well as cultivation needs? I have Byblis liniflora doing very well for me here in year round lowland conditions.

Thanks!

If it's anything like my B. filifolia, it won't do squat if you give it special treatments, but if you find a few old seeds stuck in a drawer and throw them in a pot of pinguicula, then they decide to germinate within a week.

Our plants don't read books lmao. Really though, try GA3,

You will need GA3 to germinate them. I grow B lamellata in a large pot in a mix of approx. 1:1:1 peat:sand:perlite. It is not a tropical plant- it grows a lot further south than B liniflora, a few hundred miles north of Perth. It grows in the same area as pygmy and tuberous Drosera and, in my experience, it enjoys similar conditions in cultivation. I have heard that it can rot if it is overwatered. I keep it in a water tray which I fill to about 2cm and then replenish a few days after it has dried out. I have also read that seedlings are very prone to fungal infections. Curiously, I have found that both B gigantea and lamellata seeds are best germinated in a terrarium and then moved out when the seedlings are a few cm tall. Good luck. BTW, if B liniflora do well for you, try B filifolia, aquatica and rorida if you can get hold of them.

Cheers,

Greg

If you don't have GA3, you could try bleach. :p

*hugs a jug of bleach*

Thanks guys.

Greg, I think I will probably fail at growing the plant even if the seeds germinate since they need cooler weather. The temperatures are going up here...into the upper 80s.

Sigh, I didn't know that this species need cooler weather. :-(

Back