What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!

after 7 weeks...............ive got seedlings........noticed 3 D. zigzagia seedlings last night. nothing in the other 9 pots yet :-(

Those are very cool plants. And I like the way the name looks like they were running out of ideas when they named it.

Personally, I like D. roundandstickia!:-))

D. zigzagia is a tuberous isn't it? congrats!
Alex

I love the looks of tuberous drosera and want to make a pletier cooled cooler with growlights for tcing them.

Hey there Rat,
Congrats on the new babies.
Did you do anything specail, i. e. use giberillic acid or smoke treatment.
Lois

nothing special, just planted them................been told it can take u to a year to germinate these types of Drosera so im far from giving up hope on the others. just happy to see growth in one of the pots even if this species isnt one of the ones i want to see most

Nice!!! I myself have been searching for D. zigzagia. Unfortunately its not too common. :(

if your looking for plants i couldnt help yah but seeds and tubers(i think tubers anyway) arent that hard to find if yah know where to look......your just not going to find them in the states

Rattler,

FYI it can take more than a year to get germination sometimes. My ramellosa took 3 years and I have heard of some seed taking 5. FWIW you probably want to start drying out the pots that are not showing germination, easier to synch them to our seasons that way if you return them to the tray in late Aug or there abouts (in fact given your locality you might be able to give them a couple days outside once nights hit 5C as that may help trigger them.)

jm82792,

You really do not need to set up a cooler system you just need to get them synched to the seasons here and you will be fine. Of course getting them synched can be tricky but acclimated tubers can be had from time to time.

And as for zigzagia not being in the US... Not completely true. I know for a fact it is in TC here :) Just have not gotten around to deflasking any yet. Maybe next fall...

how dry is dry? completely dried out or should there still be moisture in the soil?

I let them dry slowly by placing them in a ziplco and leaving it half zipped. After about a month I zip it shut totally. Usually it looks dry as a brick on top but I still get a tiny amount of condensation in the bag so I know there must be some moisture left.

treat the petolaris complex the same or keep them wet?

treat the petolaris complex the same or keep them wet?

Totally different ball of wax there. Best bet is to check out my "How I grow Petiolaris complex" thread. Long and short, petios get hot, humid conditions all the time. While growing they are in 0-2cm water. When/if a plant goes dormant I leave it in the same tank as the others but raise it up by placing it on a 5cm styrofoam cube. The media usually does not totally dry out but sometimes...

many thanks will pull out Barry's book and seperatet he two groups and start drying out the tuberous that havent sprouted

Back