What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera binata troubles?

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I was curious how most people grow there Drosera binata.

I've been growing my plant for 2 seasons.
What I do is grow it outside and let it there till the temps hit the freezing mark and then it gets moved to an unheated garage over winter.
The plant dies down and then in the spring re-emerges from the pot.
What has me concerned is that both my plants that did this last year, still have not started growing again. If I recall correctly, both plants had growth by this time already.

Do some years, if you let your plant go dormant, take a longer then others to start growing again? Is this normal?

Maybe my plants just want an extra long dormancy. ???

If you have typical binata you don't need to make them go dormant. I leave them inside by a bright window all the year long, and when winter rolls around, they just mutate, nothin too bad. Does the pot have holes in the bottom? If not they might have rotted... :(

eall of my outdoor plants steve (sarrs and VFTs) are just now coming out of dormancy. its just really late i guess. i grow the typical form and i will have the "extrema" form soon. my binata got hit really hard for the bad frost we had. all the leaves died off and it turned into a little nub almost. its returned from the same bud. binata also has thick roots like D. capensis. if it dosent come back from the bud. it will probably come back from the roots. poke around at the growing points a little to know for sure if it rotted.
Alex

It is most likely just an unseasonal year for you. From what I understand it is unusually cold late into the year in Pa. Your plants are probably just responding to the unusual conditions. Fear not, if your plants should die, I can provide you with plants of many D. binata forms.

Cheers,
Steve

Not sure what is going on with yours. I've been putting mine in the minibog bucket and having them outside for ~8 months. The rest of the time it's in the attic, by the window sill. They die back in the fall an re-emerge in the spring.

Interesting. I didn't think D. binata would survive in an unheated garage over winter in PA. Any idea how low the temps get?

I still do not see any growth emerging yet. :-(

The typical temps in the garage is around 48 degrees.

It should have responded by now.... by March. I think ya need a new leaf.

if nothing comes from the main point. you can keep it watered and wait for new plants to come from the roots. or dig the plant up your self, examine the roots, if they are viable and healthy then make your own root cuttings.
Alex

I bring my D. binata group plants inside when it starts getting cold. It's kind of annoying to have them scrambling over all my other indoor plants and growing up into the light fixtures, but it gets cold enough in my area that I've lost points after a few weeks of freezing temperatures. D. binata doesn't mind growing year-round, so why stop it?
~Joe

I still do not see any growth emerging yet. :-(

The typical temps in the garage is around 48 degrees.
That's odd, 48*F shouldn't be an issue at all. I believe I've read that they can handle light frosts. Heck I overwinter my VFTs and Cephs in a back basement room under lights that sometimes gets down to ~40*F. Random D. binata plants in the trays have flourished in the environment..... Hmmm....

Sounds like they either got 1) dessicated, 2) fungal infection in dark cool garage or 3) random bad-luck death disease (remind me to not let you bring any of #3 over here) :0o: :poke:

I tipped the pot today to see what's going on, if anything.
Last year the growth was emerging long before it was warm enough to put the plants outside. I guess it's just taking extra long to start growing this year, as new growth from the roots can be seen.

Dbin.jpg

It's also root bound. The whole bottom is solid roots. Maybe I'll trim a few off to start new plants.

Or maybe a deeper pot?

Back