What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. peltata, my first tuberous!

Thanks to Steve, vft guy in SJ, I now grow D. peltata, my first tuberous dew! I was please to see them break dormancy this year, and am even more pleased that they seem to be doing what they're supposed to:

D-4.jpg

Max

Sweet!!! I love tuberous dews :-D

woohoo! Very nice! I grow a few (dunno what they are) and Joseph just brought me another one (can't remember what it is hahaha)

Very pretty! How long has it taken to grow that tall since breaking dormancy?

xvart.

Awesome. I'd love to try growing one of these someday. I think the stalks look so cool.

Nice, I wish my peltata would stand up like that. Mine are still all in rosettes... dunno if I'll get a stem this season. Best luck with them!
~Joe

Thanks guys! Mine were in rosettes for a good while there, but finally started making stems a month or two ago. They broke dormancy in the late fall.

Max

mine are still sprouting from seed....is that normal? and one that i have had all winter died down to a tuber...but then just a week later....sprouted back up from the side!! is that also normal?
Alex

A few years ago I was given seeds and sprouted them. One managed to climb a bit. Then came summer and they disapeared. I was reassured it was just their dormancy thing and they would reappear in the fall. Not! I've got another batch started from seeds.

IMG_0014-1.jpg

I'm still not sure what to do or what to expect, having failed the first time around.

Did you dry out the pots during the summer dormancy? Theyr'e not supposed to survive staying wet all year (though apparently D. petlata sometimes can.)

Max

I didn't dry them out, not knowing they required it. Maybe that was the issue with them.

I love tuberous drosera and have peltata seeds and everything for tc but baby food jars!
Where can I find baby food jars that are not $1 a piece! On other news I got stung 7 times from a wasp nests :censor: and it could have been life threatening becuase just one sting will make that limb swell up like my hand that got stung at the beach 3 days ago it looked like a water ballon,So now I feel weird from benadryl: and this other thing and hope I don't get really swollen and have to take steroids. Back on tuberous drosera what temps can they handle when growing I really want to try some in 50% ms media with PPM but the temps can hit 80F should I wait I could try in a cool place in the house or do they need special treatment for peltata seeds?

The tubers that I gave Max came to me as hitchhikers in a VFT pot. While in my care they recieved the exact same treatment as all of my vft's, meaning, outdoors in full sun and watered daily throughout the spring-fall. Summer temps into the 100's on occasion and winter lows into the 20's on the coldest nights.

I have several plants of this species that have popped up from seeds that were blown into my vft mini-bog and they grow just as well as the pot that gets "proper" seasonal treatment.

Nice Steve! I forgot those just came in with some vfts! Did you get them at D'Amato's place? Everything I ever get when I go there comes with a bunch of hitchhiker plants, but never any tuberous drosera. He has seed blowing around that place all the time.

Max

Actually, I got both the original VFT with the hitchhikers you got, and the larger pot of just D. peltata, from Phil.

I love tuberous drosera and have peltata seeds and everything for tc but baby food jars!
Where can I find baby food jars that are not $1 a piece!
Know anyone with a baby? If so, they probably have jars out the wazoo. Just ask for some.

Nice plants guys. I still haven't got brave enough to try my hand at killi....uhhh...growing those.

Okay I got the jars and tced somethings I will post the results in a week by that time I should know if they crash sometimes they crash later than that and when there is growth I will post pics.

Back