What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. peltata & auriculata question

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Should I be drying their media out, now that it is the beginning of summer?

yeah!!!
I dried mine out during march april

bleh... i was told to dry it out as soon as i saw die-off... none has happened so far. im going to cut back on the watering soon though...
Alex

Yep I just drained the water from my stolonifera...

Jim, I wait till my D. peltata completely die to the ground before I dry them out.

Just my $0.02

Steve

Dry them when they die and not before. This is particularly important for seedlings.

As Sean said, you dry the pots only when the plants show signs of dormancy setting it. Forcing a plant into dormancy is the surest way to kill it.

I just noticed that my auriculata are almost down to nothing and the peltata seem to be halfway there. How dry is dry - bone or nearly so?

Question:

For Aussy tuberous dews, how are you supposed to work the seasons while in the northern hemisphere?

Shouldn't you be growing them in northern hemisphere summer which is the wet southern hemisphere winter growing season? And the tubers' dormancy would then be the northern hemisphere's winter? Errr......something like that..........I think I just confused myself... :crazy:

So, what is the scoop? ???

*** If I plan to grow a few "easy" tubers from seed here in North America, what is the most advantageous time of the year to sow?

The trick is to scoot some extra artificial seasons in between the natural ones to trick your plant into going dormant during your local summer. That, or grow them from seed/TC. It's not like they run on an atomic clock - they take cues from the environment like any other plant.
~Joe

Seedjar pretty much covered it but if you search the Drosera forum for my username and the term tuberous then youshould find a few posts by me on the topic that should help.

Jim,

I go bone dry but try to take a month or so for the pot to reach that state.. Then I bag the whole pot. That said, auriculata and peltata are more tolerant of damp dormancy so you can err on that side if you are worried

for dormancy for my auric i put the pot outside after it dies back in mostly shade and just let it get watered if it rains and they start to sprout on there own in the fall when temps cool. Then once it gets to cold for it , i bring it onto the bright window i put it every winter where it loves it. I actually have 2 plants growing strong still but the other 10 in the pot went dorment. I didnt start with that many but they actually are producing offsets off the mature plants.

d.peltata In the suds?

Hi to all!!

I have a bred drosera peltata of seed this year and only it measures approximately 4 cm of height, which I have to do?
Do I allow to grow and until not of signs of descacion not to force her to rest????

I am Spanish and it is my first experience with droseras tuberous and I do not find information, wait for your help

Forgive my English.

Good advice from Sean and Pyro, and I might add that the drying off should be as gradual as possible, allowing for the stored sugars in the stems and leaves to be translocated to the corm to fuel next season's growth. Too quick a dry off and the process can't happen.

I'm crossing my fingers with these two. It's like that trust exercise when your buddies are supposed to catch you when you fall backward!

Back