What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera Venusta problems :(

My drosera venusta that came from hawaii is Not happy it's leaf have died back and the growing point is okay but the new leafs are not. When it was in hawaii it got lots of sun so that is why it has ultra red leafs but was not too happy in hawaii so am I giving it too much sun and low humidity too fast because it came from hawaii? I really apreciate the help before the move it looked pretty good.

This is how the plant looks now:

IMG_0203.jpg

And this was how it looked in February:

IMG_0071.jpg

All picture taking skills aside, this plant has been in a closet, under a shoplite, for the past 2 seasons, getting ~15 hours of light each day, in very stable conditions. So maybe the consistency, over time, has something to do with it.

Mine was getting WAY too much light,
it is in a dixi cup so the plastic with block
some of the light out
and add humidity

speaking of drosera's. I've picked 2 pods from the Garden Center. Can anyone tell me if it's growable?

Here they are...2 of them
Picture056.jpg

um ok should I worry? I think I broke it :(

By any chance, would the seeds look like this?
Picture057.jpg

Yep those are seeds)
I don't know about viability
but give them a try :)
What species was it
pinched from :)
The growing leaf of my capensis are brown,
does that mean it will adjust soon?
I rhink it will make a new leaf,but I am not
sure. It is is a plastic cup that filters the light,
I am going to buy a 4 footer light for it and some
other dews I am getting from various places.
I just hope this guy pulls through it has some older
leafs for photosynthesizing
Hey peanut are you on CPUK? I think I see the
same avatar there.
Psst! A good sized CP bog is in the works

Last edited:
It is is a plastic cup that filters the light,
that would basically turn it into a green house. i dont really know what is considered filtered lght...but you may be baking your capensis. that brown leaf dosent sound good at all.
Alex

I'd advise you to ditch the plastic cup, it's probably doing more harm than good. Plastic tends to limit the available spectrum the plant can use, and the needless high humidity can encourage fungal infections as well as potential heat build up. Also it's best to get the plant where it's happy, then leave it be. If the newer leaves are brown the plant is likely to die back, at which point you should aim at keeping the pot moist but not water logged as this species like many of the South African Drosera can return from the roots, provided they don't rot. Good luck!

For the venusta it is not making new leafs and think it will die down,
while my cape is dewy and get So much light is green stems are turing red!
I want to cut up on the venusta roots and put it in lfs but don't have any
or living spoagnum so peat will have to do. The leaf are not turing
blsck yet are not growing so I don't know what it up and I will ditch the cup.
I am wanting a all red cape if you have one I would be very interested since it is so sunny
here.

Back