What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuber Storage?

I just got a drosera tuber in the mail and I didn't want to pot it until the fall since it will stay in tuber form until then anyways.. so what would be the best way to store it? Just keeping it in a dry baggy at room temperature?

Thanks.

From ICPS http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedbank/species/D_auriculata.htm

"When the plants do die back, let the pots dry out. For most species you can let the pots get completely dry if they are stored in a humid location out of the sun. Drosera gigantea and D. sulfurea should never be allowed to dry out completely. A technique for storing the pots with tubers over the summer is to allow the soil to become just damp and then put the pots in plastic bags or in a terrarium in a shady location or under a greenhouse bench. A terrarium with gravel and some water in the bottom works best as it is easy to keep an eye on the pots and to check for new growth in the fall.

The only time you can transplant tuberous Drosera is when they are dormant. If you are getting too many plants in a pot, carefully dig up some of the tubers a month after they die back and put them in new pots at the same depth they were originally at in the old pots. They are usually 5 to 10 cm deep. Don't throw out the soil in the top 10 cm of the pot unless you also want to throw away small tubers. Don't wait until the fall to do the transplanting as many species try to get a jump on winter by sending up a sprout to just below the soil surface in late summer. Do enjoy these wonderful ephemeral plants!

Tubers may be stored in plastic zip-lock bags in a dark location.
Plant them with the "eye" up. You may find it easier to maintain mature plants if the top 3 cm of the soil is pure sand."

...man I've even read that article before. x_x

I will remember to read that again around September since I know I'll forget most of that stuff before then.

Thanks for posting that.

Back