What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easiest Drosera to Grow

What a droseraguy! :hail:

I'd advise that you learn to grow your Drosera from seed vs buying plants which were grown in conditions different from those you have. Plants grown from seed always seem healthier and happier since the weak die off and the rest are preadapted to your own conditions. The added plus is that you get many plants with which to experiment, trade and share. It's also cool to be a part of the whole process, sort of like seeing a movie from the start instead of halfway through. Seed is often available for far less money and the shipping is just a stamped envelope. I wrote out the whole process awhile back and I think it's still around in the article section.

I killed it a long time ago but my venusta has long roots but will die,
does anyone have a suggested course of action? Do I put when the crown dies cut up the roots then lay under a small amount of peat?
It needs to die down then come out again,I guess coming from hawaii was too much for it :(

Last edited:
I'd advise that you learn to grow your Drosera from seed vs buying plants which were grown in conditions different from those you have. Plants grown from seed always seem healthier and happier since the weak die off and the rest are preadapted to your own conditions. The added plus is that you get many plants with which to experiment, trade and share. It's also cool to be a part of the whole process, sort of like seeing a movie from the start instead of halfway through. Seed is often available for far less money and the shipping is just a stamped envelope. I wrote out the whole process awhile back and I think it's still around in the article section.

Once I got beyond what Lowes & Home Depot were selling, I was scarfing up the Trading Post offerings, most of which were pigmy sundew gemmae and various seeds. Maybe not all were successes but many were and some of the those germinated / sprouted seeds and gemmae produced flowers and gemmae themselves. Those plants indeed were stronger and more acclimated than straight up plants that came from others.

I'm willing to try. Have sent envelope for some d. capensis (sp?) seed. Are you wonderful people able to "hold my hand" while I experiment with growing from the seed?

I tried some seed from the CP society a couple of years ago and failed miserably.

I now have sphagnum peat, perlite, and long fibered sphagnum on the way.

Will have to find the article mentioned above.

I have 3 books on cps and one just on sarracenias and I STILL don't feel comfortable trying this. We never did cps in my horticulture classes.

Diana Pederson

It's really pretty easy with all but a handful of plants. The only hard part is waiting for a plant to grow from a seed to an adult!

I grow drosera from seed by sowing it in pots with other sundews :)
It works well for the easy species like spatulata.

I have 3 books on cps and one just on sarracenias and I STILL don't feel comfortable trying this. We never did cps in my horticulture classes.

You'll feel more comfortable as you grow more. Learn by doing. And stay active here!

xvart.

Good to hear. Now I just have to get some seed!

lmao! thats my capensis and dielsiana. The dielsiana I got the size of a seedling... 3 of them... all three flowered. I still have the seed. SOme seed fell unknowingly in my VFT seedling pot and they are germinating. I gave away 2 of my dielsiana to a friend, and the last one is flowering.

Unless it's one that pops up as a hitchhiker in another pot. Then it grows like a weed :crazy:

A fellow CPer was nice enough to send me a number of pings to round out my collection and he included one D. capensis...it died. The pings are doing fine.

I have always had good luck with burmannii...as in the photo below.
http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/albums/album01/burmannii_takeover_2.jpg

Ironically, as I looked at my pings, I could see a baby capensis in several of them... all unintended plants! I should probably ship a ping and capensis on each gumball container!

Ironically, as I looked at my pings, I could see a baby capensis in several of them... all unintended plants! I should probably ship a ping and capensis on each gumball container!
Need any burmannii or sessilifolia Jim?

I noticed last week one of my D.adelae's have a baby plantlet coming out of the pot's bottom drain hole! I just now potted it up in it's own little pot. You GOT to love 'em!

Tom

Tom your not along.. I just noticed that mine is growing a baby from the drain hole also and it's growing under 2 inches of water to boot.

Tom your not along.. I just noticed that mine is growing a baby from the drain hole also and it's growing under 2 inches of water to boot.

LOL! You can't kill 'em! Got my new camera today, a Canon A630. It's awesome! When I get the macro mode down I'll shoot some CP shots....

Tom

Need any burmannii or sessilifolia Jim?

Actually.... yes. I just tossed a burmanni that recently flowered and went downhill. I have one more plant in the pot, but I'm not certain it is a burmanni. My sessilifolia died this winter. We'll talk....

I am going to order from the ICPS soon.

LOL! You can't kill 'em! Got my new camera today, a Canon A630. It's awesome! When I get the macro mode down I'll shoot some CP shots....

Tom

Camera works great, still learning it though. Flowering!

D_adelaeflower.jpg

Yes, absolutely.
And, as for D. capensis, I have been growing since @1979 and I killed one this year. Some clover came up in the pot, and I thought "cool cover." According to Pyro, they fix nitrogen. Two D. binata pots nearby, one with and one w/o-guess which pot looks less vibrant? Still learning, I guess.
I nuke my peat, so I am not sure where it came from. I know it's not 100% full-proof, but it could have come from a plant I aquired too. Another reason to get seed as much as you can...:-D
Some good ones have beem mentioned, and most are ICPS seedbank regulars.
Good chance somebody has spare, if they are so inclined.
Cheers,

Joe

Back