What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easiest Drosera to Grow

pedersonplants

The Obsessive Gardener
Hi:

I have succeeded in killing my only drosera. Am thinking of buying several off of Ebay.

Which varieties would be easiest to grow. They will be in a terrarium under cool-white shop lites (48"--2 40 watt bulbs).

I would like to succeed for a change!

Diana Pederson

From mine and everyone elses experience, Drosera Capensis is the easiest to grow. Plus they self pollinate so you get massive swarms of seeds everywhere!

D. capensis will survive all out war. Check out the NASC auction before e-bay, I'll bet there will be some more appearing there soon !

I just got my first D. capensis, 2 actually from flytrapshop.com. I already have 2 D. adelae that I also think are a piece of cake to grow, I've had those 2 years now. These capensis are really neat!

Tom

I'd say D. filiformis, it can handle a bunch of different conditions, it multiplies like crazy, and is an overall amazing plant

Basically any species that doesn't require dormancy are rather easy to grow - most of the South African and the harder to find South American species fall into this category.

Drosera aliciae is considered a beginners plant and is fairly tolerant of a wide range of conditions.

There are some D. aliciae available in the NASC auction.

In addition to those mentioned.... binata, spatulata, intermedia, rotundifolia,....

I am looking at: Drosera Adelae, Drosera graminifolia, Drosera spathulata, and Drosera spathulata Frasier all selling for $4.49 each. Shipping for 5 plants -- all in pots -- is $6.95

I've killed every cp I ever got barerooted. Am trying to find a way to get started in this wonderful hobby again.

I looked at the auctions but it looks like I would have to pay shipping for each plant I "won" Too bad no one is offering a "beginner's collection"

The plants will be sitting in a screen covered aquarium (screen protects them from two hungry birds that view my unprotected houseplants as their meal bar).

I am looking at: Drosera Adelae, Drosera graminifolia, Drosera spathulata, and Drosera spathulata Frasier all selling for $4.49 each. Shipping for 5 plants -- all in pots -- is $6.95

I've killed every cp I ever got barerooted. Am trying to find a way to get started in this wonderful hobby again.

I looked at the auctions but it looks like I would have to pay shipping for each plant I "won" Too bad no one is offering a "beginner's collection"

The plants will be sitting in a screen covered aquarium (screen protects them from two hungry birds that view my unprotected houseplants as their meal bar).

As long as they get bright indirect light and rain or distilled water they will do just fine!

Tom

Make a wish on the NASC wishlist thread and who knows what will come up :-D

Many of the auction donors are offering free shipping.

Andrew sells D. adeleae and D. capensis at flytrapshop.com. You can also find them at garden centers like Lowes, Home Depot etc.

Your selection is good- I would advise against D.filiformis as it's temperate and needs a bit of extra fussing about- easier to grow that species outside year-round and let it do the work for you.

The plants you listed for possible ordering should be excellent choices for what you are looking for

Another easy, nice looking one is D.madagascariensis, if one is available you would probably have success with that.

D.adelae is dead-easy, as is D.aliciae. as mentioned above

Keep us posted!

In addition to those mentioned.... binata, spatulata, intermedia, rotundifolia,....

Binata mutates when not given a dormancy(looks really ugly), spatulata is good, capensis is the best!!!

I have a bad problem with killing things like alacie by giving it to much sun too fast :(

drosera capensis and dielsiana are pretty easy. :)

Droserea filiformis var filiformis "Florida All Red" form produces seeds that don't need stratification and plants that don't go dormant. These can be grown in a terrarium easily. The trick is to grow them outdoors and selecting the plants that don't form hibernicula in the fall/winter. Unless of course you obtain plants that are known not to go dormant.

I noticed last week one of my D.adelae's have a baby plantlet coming out of the pot's bottom drain hole! I just now potted it up in it's own little pot. You GOT to love 'em!

Tom

I have a bad problem with killing things like alacie by giving it to much sun too fast :(
keep it!!! aliciae comes up from the roots like capensis and adelae do!

Humpf...

The one I'm having trouble with is D. spatulata 'Frasier Island'. :(

Since I bought it, the three little plantlets are dewless and kinda brown on the edges.

And they sit right next to adelae, aliciae and capensis which are all healthy and full of dew.

Weird thing is that it's throwing up a couple flower stalks.

I think a re-potting is in order for Mr. Frasier. Some fresh soil might do him some good. :)

D. capensis is near unkillable. I can't grow D. adelae outdoors. It needs humidity and can't take much sun.

Beginners collection ? Hmmmm

Back